Chapter 18

The next day Juvia decided to explore Gray's palace. It was very remarkable but so very dark and quiet. She wasn't going to complain, not when Gray had been kind enough to let her stay here but that didn't mean he wouldn't notice her discomfort. In fact he was just walking back from patrolling the underworld when he spotted her looking quite unsettled.

"This place is lovely but so gloomy." He heard her say quietly. "I wish there was some music here to lighten things up."

Now being the king of the underworld allowed Gray to have anything he wanted from his kingdom and anything done by the inhabitants of his kingdom with just the snap of his fingers. And what he wanted most was for Juvia to be happy and comfortable as long as she was staying here. So he snapped his fingers and just like that music filled the room.

Juvia was confused at first. Where did that music come from? She didn't see any musicians. But Her confusion was quickly forgotten and she found herself dancing to the music with a smile on her face. Gray smiled too as he watched her danced with both grace and playfulness. She was so beautiful especially when she was smiling like that and Gray decided that he wanted her to have that look always. So from that moment on whenever Juvia wished for something he would give it to her without complaint. Now she never came directly to him with what she wanted and she never made requests, she would just mumble what she would like when she thought no one was listening and he would just snap his fingers making it appear.

It made her very happy but also very confused. How was this happening? Where was it all coming from? At first she didn't think too much of it but then one day as Meredy was combing her hair, she asked.

"My lady are you content here?" She asked.

"Yes. I am." She admitted. "It's so strange every time say that I want something like music or a new book or some embroidery to do it just appears out of nowhere. I like it I just wish I knew where it came from."

Unknown to Juiva, Gray was listening on their conversation. He knew it was rude but he just wanted to know it Juvia was happy here. That wasn't miserable down here like he was.

"If I may ask my lady is there anything you would like to have here? As a gift? Some new dresses or jewels?"

"Oh no. I have enough of those. Really there's nothing I want. I have everything I need and there are plenty of things down here to keep me entertained."

"There must be something you want. If you could have anything in the world what would it be?"

"I guess there is one thing."

Gray listened carefully.

"I miss the flowers from my garden. They were all so beautiful and sweet smelling but nothing grows down here. It makes a little sad sometimes. But please don't tell Gray." She said. "He's so very kind and he really wants me to be comfortable here. I'm afraid he would feel bad if he knew that missed my garden so much."

"Oh I won't tell." Meredy said winking at Gray who she knew was listening from the bedroom door.

That was a tricky request because nothing grew in the underworld. Everything was dead and there no life anywhere Well almost anywhere, there was one place in the underworld where what Juvia desired could be found. As soon as he had free time he went Elysian Fields where he took some of it's soil filled a small area inside of the palace. Within no time plenty of flowers blossomed up from the soil.

When Juvia saw them she made a smile that was the prettiest Gray had ever seen on her face. He watch as she inhaled the fragrance of each flower, bringing back the happy memories of when she lived with her sister.

"But how is this possible?" She wondered.

As she looked up from smelling a lily of the valley she spotted Gray watching her from afar. He moved quickly but not quickly enough. She then grinned to herself and at dinner when Gray came to ask her if she was comfortable she asked him if he was responsible for all the things being given to her.

"I wouldn't know." He lied. "I spend most of my time patrolling, I'm hardly ever at my palace during the day. My servants must have soft spot for you."

She noticed that as he spoke each word he wasn't looking at her. A clear sign that he was lying.

"You know making those flowers grow just for me is one of the sweetest and most thoughtful things that anyone has done for me. Thank you."

"I never said that I did that."

"But I know you did it and I know that you've been giving everything I wish for. I am grateful and very appreciative but I would like to know why? What have I done to deserve all these lovely things?"

"Well...Um..." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "I...I...I just wanted to thank you for helping me with my nightmare and I wanted to be a gracious host."

"I see."

"So is there anything else you need or want?"

"No."

"Then I'll just go now."

"Wait! Actually there is one more thing I'd like."

"What?"

"I'd like for you to talk with me please."

"You...You want to talk with me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because you seem so lonely all the time. I feel you want a friend to talk to."

"I'm the king of the underworld, the personification of death itself."

"But you still get sad and lonely don't you? You'd still like a friend wouldn't you?"

"Look you're sweet but nobody wants to talk to me. I'm death. I'm the reason why people die so everybody's afraid of me."

"I'm not afraid."

"I'm just not the talking to other people type. I'm better off if I just don't socialize."

"Alright. If that's how you feel I won't pressure you especially after you've done so much for me." She stood up from her chair and walked toward him. "But I'd really like to talk to you and get to know you better because as far as I know, you're wonderful."

She kissed his cheek and left the dinning room. Gray blushed a little and put his hand over where Juvia had kissed him. That was first time anyone had ever kissed him aside from his mother that is.

"She thinks I'm wonderful." He said in disbelief.