5.6, required reading

season 5, chapter 6 : required reading

* * *

"You two are uncharacteristically quiet

"You two are uncharacteristically quiet."

* * *

I stand in the Sheriffs office beside Stiles and Malia, watching Stilinski draw an X over Tracy's face with a red marker.

"Two dead chimeras and eight new ones." Stiles tells his father. "That's ten in total."

"I'm thinking maybe eleven." Stilinski replies, pinning Donovan's photo up. "Our station tech guys confirmed something for me. Both the holding cell lock and the cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys.."

"Dread Doctors." I say, looking at the book the Sheriff is holding in his hands.

"Are we really calling them that?" Stilinski questions.

"So they broke Donovan out?" Malia asks.

Stilinski looks at Malia. "It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?"

"Donovan's a chimera." Malia states, walking over to the board.

"Yeah." Stilinski breathes out. "But is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

"If he is, he's probably dead." Malia goes to draw an X over Donovan's photo.

"Not until I've seen a body." The Sheriff stops her.

My breathing hitches, glancing up at Stiles to see him fiddling with his fingers. Guilt fills my body as I remember the incident in the library.

"You two are uncharacteristically quiet." Stilinski states.

"Sorry, I'm, uh.." Stiles quietly begins. "I'm just trying to think about it."

"Uh, these are all teenagers, right? Shouldn't we be trying to figure out why these teenagers?" I question.

Stiles nods, on the same page as me. "If the Dread Doctors went through all that, burying them, killing them, breaking one of them out of jail-"

"They couldn't have been chosen at random." Stilinski interrupts.

"They had to have something in common." Malia mumbles.

"Something that made them right for this experiment." Stilinski continues.

"Something that made them special." Stiles adds.

The group stands around a glass table, the original copy of the Dread Doctors book as well as the multiple printed copies.

"I'm guessing your mom's book club probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles says.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott tells him. "So none of us can go running into traffic or worse."