Chapter 3: I Hate Nice Guys

Brennan Coleman's locker is right beside mine. For me, this means firsthand eavesdropping on school gossip from his friends everyday before lunch. The friends consist of the usual–Vince, Peter, Diana, and Liz. To be fair, their gossip isn't really that interesting. But it's kind of fun to know who's dating who, who just broke up, and who hates who.

As I approach, their conversation seems to be ending. "Dee, you can't just expect people to follow the same dating rules as you," Liz says to Diana, while fixing her afro into two high pigtails. "How does this look?" she asks the rest of them.

Diana smiles at her. "Very cute. I have some pearl clips in my locker if you want them. And, it's not that I expect people to have the same dating rules as me but I feel like my personal preference just makes sense. Don't you think it's weird that Sam is dating Kelly now? She just broke up with Cassidy three weeks ago."

Vince leans against the locker, not even bothering to make eye contact with me. "Three weeks is plenty of time."

Diana frowns. "Says you. You're an asshole."

"An honest one at least," Peter says.

God, why did I agree to pair him with Janine?

Peter turns to Liz. "So I asked my cousin about your braids. She's offering a discount but only if she can squeeze you in on Tuesday. You good with that?"

Liz perks up. "Yes! Yes, that's perfect. As long as it's done before grad, I'm good. Thanks!"
"No sweat, I'll text her."

Diana takes Liz's arm. "Let's get those clips in my locker. See you guys in the cafeteria."

They leave, and soon after, so do the guys–except Brennan, who fumbles at his locker, finally getting his stuff after being distracted by conversation. At this time of day, Coleman and I are left to trade our "Hi, how are you's" and talk solely about upcoming English assignments, considering it's our only class together. This whole acquaintanceship is the basic reason I know that there is no chance for him to say yes to my offer. We know nothing about each other, aside from the fact that we're both good students.

The perfect guy to break my heart.

I open my locker door quickly, with a few swift twists for my combination. Brennan looks my way and I earn an approving look from him.

"Still impressed with how good I am at opening lockers, Coleman?" I smile, but then reach for my textbook, so I don't get to see his reaction.

"I guess it's a natural talent, Stella," he replies. At that, I give him a dirty look. The nickname Stella is a product of his initial inability to get my last name Estrella correct. I've grown used to it but I still point it out when I get the chance.

"For the thousandth time, my last name is Estrella. It has an 'e' in the front, and an 'r' between the 's' and the other 'e'."

He shakes his head. "If I get a name wrong the first time, I'll get it wrong forever." He shrugs, before running his fingers through his dirty blond hair. He reaches for the top shelf of his locker for his lunch bag. "So, did you finish the review chapter notes for the second book yet?"

I scoff, "The only way I'm ever going to finish that thing is if I resurrect the author himself and threaten to kill him again if he doesn't write it for me."

His piercing green eyes stare at me in horror.
It's definitely not the way you want a cute guy to look at you. The only expressions I have ever gotten from this boy are: horror, fear, confusion, humour, and disgust (but that was because I was ranting about the rat dissection we performed last week, and he is absolutely not a biology person).