4

There was a slight nip in the air as Mackenzie stepped out of the Sydney airport. It was June, but in Australia, that signaled the start of winter.

"Mali said she was in the arrivals traffic a few minutes ago, so we shouldn't have to wait long." Cal said to her as they stood by the curb awaiting the arrival of his sister. Mackenzie nodded and stared into the vast sea of cars searching for the blonde amongst the drivers.

"There she is." Cal said from beside her, his finger outstretched towards a black sedan. They both waved as Mali pulled into the space and jumped out to greet them.

"Cal! Kenz! So glad to see you both! It's been too long." She said, mostly directed towards Cal.

"Sorry, Mal. We've been so busy. Free until the end of the month now though, then I'll be round your way for a while. We'll probably see each other loads while the boys and I are in Europe."

"We better." She said pulling him in for a hug before redirecting her attention to Mackenzie.

"How are you Kenz? Cal told me you called off the wedding."

"I'll be okay. I'm glad to have some space away from whatever is at home. I'm sure it'll all still be there when we get back."

"I find time is usually pretty therapeutic. I'm glad to have you with us for a bit, I haven't seen you in ages. I always tell Cal to bring you with when he comes for a visit but you know how he is. We best be getting home, Mum and Dad are waiting."

"Who we going to see first?" Cal asked.

"They're both at Mum's." She replied with a twinkle in her eye as Cal's face split into a grin. He couldn't help but be glad his parents were getting along well still despite their separation.

The three piled into the car and Mali drove off.

Cal broke his concentration from Sydney's landscape out his window, the smoke from the brush fires visible in the distance, they seemed worse this year, to look over to Mack. He found her seemingly lost in her own world as she twirled her iPhone in her hands.

"Something wrong?" He asked.

"I'm scared to turn my phone back on to be honest. "

"Why are you scared? We're a world away from everyone." He asked, wanting a hint of anything he could do to comfort her.

"I just, I know I hurt people, especially Tanner. I know why I did it and I don't regret leaving. I was not ready to get married, at least not to him, but still."

Calum reached for her, his fingers sliding around her forearm and sliding down until their fingers were intertwined.

"Want me to do it for you?" He asked.

"No, but I'd appreciate it if you'd hold my hand while I do." She said.

He shook their already locked fingers as a smile danced across her face. She exhaled deeply before hitting the power button. Her nerves seemed amplified as the device powered up slowly.

The screen immediately came to life, message after message pouring in as her phone vibrated furiously with the notifications. Mack's hand shook slightly and Calum used the pad of his thumb to rub small circles into the back of her hand. She watched as the names came across the screen, "Mom," "T," "Harper," on and on the list came for nearly a full three minutes.

"Just tell your mom where you are and the rest can wait for later. Okay?" He said as they pulled in to his parents driveway. He waited for her reply and she finally nodded as she opened her car door and headed for the trunk to grab her bag.

"Hey, Hey. Don't grab that yet. We aren't staying here."

"We're not?" She asked, puzzled.

"No, I have a place booked for us. I figured we would be in need of our own space so we could figure out what we came here to. I just couldn't be in Sydney and not stop in to see Mali and my folks. We're only dropping by."

"Oh, okay. That sounds nice actually. I love your parents, and Mali, but I think some time to ourselves would be really, really, good right now." She said.

"C'mon, I know they're excited to see you."

She forced a smile and followed after him. He opened the door for her and she stepped into his parents home only to be engulfed by the arms of his mother, Joy.

"Kenz! Oh my goodness it's so lovely to see you, I wish it was under better circumstances of course but I'm so glad you're here! We haven't seen you in ages."

"Not since the last time you guys came out to LA." Mackenzie replied with a smile. "It's good to see you guys to. I'm really glad Cal could get me away from everything for a few days."

"We told him you guys were welcome to stay with us, but he insisted on getting you guys that house." She gave her son a look as he came up behind Mackenzie and slid his arms to her waist. Mack's cheeks heated up at Calum's affectionate touch on such public display. As much as she welcomed his warmth and comfort, the touch still felt somehow disrespectful, just a day ago she was getting ready to marry someone else. It felt too fast, too soon.

She tried to be gentle as she detached herself from his grasp.

"That's my fault I suppose. The runaway bride probably won't be much fun to be around for at least a few days." She said, speaking more to Cal than the others.

He nodded seeming to understand that at the moment she just wasn't ready to jump straight into being touchy with him in front of people.

Joy invited them into the living room and they took seats on the large couch after saying hi to Cal's dad, David. Mackenzie tried to participate in the conversation as it carried on around it but she only found herself feeling immediately drained.

"Cal," She whispered, her eyes finding his.

"Jet lag?" He questioned, understandingly.

She nodded in response and he quickly stood, pulling them both to their feet as he explained to his parents the reason for their departure. They both assured his parents that they would be back by, at least once more, before they headed home to America.

"Thank you." Mack said, looking to Cal as he slid behind the wheel of the car he used when he was home, a red sports car he had bought early on in the band's career.

"No, worries. I know the past few days have been a lot. And for what it's worth," he added, "I get it that things between us might take time. We've been friends a long time, Mack. I'm not asking you to immediately jump into a relationship with me. I understand I've just begged you to end your three year long relationship, I know it's gonna take you a while to heal from that. I'm just asking that you try. That you give us a real shot, Mack. Let me be here for you. Let me show you what we could be."

She thought a moment and then brought his hand up to her lips, pressing a soft kiss to the back of his hand as they drove off towards wherever Cal had arranged for them to stay.

AN: Alrighty time for them to spend some time alone! What's gonna happen when it's just them??

What do you think so far?

This is kind of a different story line for me and I'm really enjoying it!

I hope you'll check out my other works especially my other currently updating book 'Paper Parachute!' (It's my favorite I've ever written!)

Vote and Comment

ILY

Sav