6

"So what exactly is it that we're doing today?" Mackenzie asked as she treaded lightly into the kitchen where Calum was preparing breakfast.

"That's for me to know and you to find out. How do you want your eggs?" He asked with a smile as he lazily turned his own in the frying pan.

"Over easy is fine." She replied stepping towards him and leaning her head to the left until it fit snug in the crook of his neck.

"You sleep okay?" He asked holding his breath as he snuck a kiss to her forehead before he could wimp out.

She smiled and nodded. "Better than I expected."

Calum threw his arm around her shoulder and squeezed her shoulder before returning his attention to their breakfast. When it was done and they'd eaten Mack's demands to know of their plans grew more desperate as she tried to figure out what to wear.

"I'm not telling you, Mack." He said with a laugh moving towards her suitcase. He dug around for a moment and pulled out a pair of distressed jeans and  threw them at her.

"Wear these and I'll get you one of my shirts, it's a bit chilly out. High's only like 16 degrees Celsius out today."

"Sorry, I didn't pack for Australian winter."

"It's fine. We'll get you some things today." He said quickly, not wanting her to fret over something so minuscule.

"Give me like two minutes, I'll be back with your top and we can head out."

She gestured that the plan suited her and set to work getting ready for the day. She had already done her makeup before heading down for breakfast this morning so she brushed her teeth, put on her jewelry and waited for Cal to reappear with his shirt.

The door opened suddenly and a blob of black fabric collided with her face before she was able to react.

"Hey!" She exclaimed but Cal only laughed and re-closed the door.

She changed out of her pajama top and into the shirt, inhaling deeply the scent that was just so inherently Calum. A quick check in the mirror and a moment to slide into her white slip on vans and she was out the door a few steps after the dark haired man.

"So, you gonna tell me what we're doing now?" She wondered aloud.

"Eh," he said as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully, "Nope."

Mackenzie groaned and sank down into the passenger seat of the car Cal used when he was home in Australia.

"We're only about twenty minutes out. Patience, my love." He smiled.

Mackenzie couldn't help but smile herself at the feeling of butterflies colliding with the walls of her stomach when he called her his love.

His left hand lay on top of the console as he drove and she took a nervous breath before extending her own to rest on top of his.

The corners of his mouth turned up in a smile and she did her best to act like she didn't notice the way she affected him. Much the same way that he affected her.

She held his hand as they wound through unfamiliar streets and she tried to take in as much of the beautiful country as she could, humming along to the American pop music that played quietly through the speakers.

"We're here." Cal said, startling her from her busy mind as he pulled in to a parking space and the car shook as he killed the engine.

Mack offered him a confused stare as she looked around at the filled parking spaces but empty streets around them.

"C'mon, just trust me." He said exiting the car and waiting for her near the trunk. She joined him and he retook her hand, her skin instantly warming at his touch, already so comfortable with his hand in hers.

She bit her lip but let him lead her for several blocks before she noticed the tents in the distance. The blaring music, vibrant colors, and mouth-watering smells sensing her senses into overload.

"What is it?" She asked as they walked closer.

"It's a multi-cultural festival, one of the largest in the country. Thought a day of music, food, and fun might help get your mind off things...give us a chance to figure ourselves out."

God, how could he be so perfect. She smiled at him, her eyes twinkling and her chest starting to loosen for the first time in days.

He seemed to take her lightened mood as his answer and he pulled her along. They stopped first at a Japanese themed booth where they attempted to make their own sushi.

"You're not doing it right!" Calum laughed as Kenzie's roll continued to fall apart and she threw rice at him defiantly.

"Hey now, don't get feisty because I'm the better chef." He laughed and Mack joined him as she gazed upon her mess of a creation.

"Oh, whatever. Give me a bite of yours." She demanded reaching over him.

"What do I get in return?" He asked, grabbing her outstretched hand as their eyes connected. Neither of them spoke for a moment, the weight of the moment settling upon them. Calum broke their stare first, reaching for a roll and feeding it to her.

"Let, um, lets move on." He said, clearing his throat.

They spent the rest of the afternoon visiting all of the booths. They tasted beers from Germany, made paper lanterns at the China tent, and sampled foods from more countries than they could keep count of.

Calum tried not to get ahead of himself, to not let himself fall farther into her but it was impossible. How could he not fall for the gorgeous brunette beside him. Her smile radiated from her the entire time they explored the festival a and Calum couldn't ignore the fact that their fingers remained intertwined at every open opportunity. He hoped she felt the things he was feeling. Hoped she wanted the same things he did.

"What now?" She asked innocently as they finished up at the last booth.

"I, um, I have one more thing for us to do. We have to walk a bit though." He said nervously as she agreed easily.

He but his lip with anxious excitement as the wound their way toward the harbour. If she knew where they were headed they didn't say so.

"So, um, I want to show you one of my favorite views of Sydney." He said as they neared the bridge. "We don't have time to do the whole climb today, but we can visit the lookout which is practically just as beautiful." He tripped over his words and she giggled, following him as they arrived at the pylon lookout and paid their entry.

"Why are you so nervous, Cal? It's just me." She spoke softly and he forced the lump in his throat down as they worked their way up through the museum and towards the observatory.

"It's you, Mack. Just, all this, I'm so scared I'm gonna fuck it up." He told her honestly as they reached the top and the panoramic views of the Harbour.

"Cal, you're not going to mess it up...and this is gorgeous!" She remarked staring out at the view, the Opera House in clear view down below.

"You're gorgeous." He said quickly, spinning her around. "The view is great, but you, you're breathtaking, Mack." His eyes met hers and he dipped his head, softly planting his lips to hers.

It was fireworks and magic, everything a first kiss should be. Everything needed to prove to both of them that they'd made the right decision.

An: they kissed!!!

How fucking cute was their date?

Do you ship them?

Let me know

Vote and comment!

Ily!
Sav 🖤