8

If there had been any shreds of doubt left in Mackenzie's mind about her decision to forgo her wedding and run off with Calum, they were completely dashed by the events of that night and the three like it that followed. She had awoke the next morning with a smile on her face for the first time in months. The first time since the wedding planning had taken a turn for the worst and she had begun to wonder why she had gotten engaged in the first place.

Even so, as she packed her bags after their brief stay in Sydney her stomach was in knots as she feared what they would return home to. Los Angeles surely held a shit storm awaiting them and she only wished she could stay longer in the bubble of bliss she and Calum had enjoyed for the last week.

"I don't want to go home." She mumbled as she entered the kitchen where he was fixing a smoothie. He turned and pulled her into him, resting his chin on the top of his head.

"We can't stay here forever, love." He said, turning her gently to face him and pressing his lips to hers.

"I know, but I'm just not ready. It's gonna be so bad."

"Maybe not. It's been five days, it could have all blown over by now." He offered, though his voice said even he didn't fully believe his words. She stared at him incredulously in response until he finally sighed. "Okay, okay. So it probably hasn't blown completely over but most people will have moved on with their lives. I promise it won't be as bad as you're imagining. Besides, you won't be going home alone." He said softly, his fingers slotting into hers.

"I don't know how I would be getting through this without you."

"Well, you might not be dealing with it if it weren't for me." He said with a nervous laugh.

"Yeah but, that would just mean I had gone through with a marriage that never would have made me happy. As hard as I know this, going home and facing everyone, is going to be, I'm in a much better place now."

"You mean that?" He asked, needing the confirmation for himself. She nodded and he squeezed her hand.

"The past few days have been the best of my life, Mack." He confessed.

"For me too. I don't know what the future holds but there is so much here, Cal. I really think this could be something special." Her eyes held sincerity as he leaned in to kiss her.

"I want this, Mackenzie." He said earnestly, his use of her full name catching her attention as she peered up at him. He was so handsome, what with his dark hair, the wisps of his curls a mess on top of his head beneath the bucket hat he'd taken to sporting, his tan skin highlighting his toned muscles, and his cheeks that rivaled the adorableness of any chubby toddler. His physical features paired in comparison to who he was as a person. He was kind and compassionate, her very best friend, upon whom she could always depend. How could she not fall for him? Who could possibly blame her?

She had a sneaking suspicion that if anyone could, it would be those who were patiently awaiting their return from paradise.

"You ready?" Cal asked, looking back to her and reaching for her hand. She slid hers into his, offering a small smile.

"No, but, I don't think I'll ever really be ready. It has to be done though." She sighed, letting him lead her away from the baggage check after they had collected their belongings. They were halfway out of the terminal when a voice behind them spoke up.

"Calum?" They spun around, dropping hands as Calum's eyes flashed with worry as he took in the girl, who looked about eighteen, before drifting over to Mackenzie who stood routed in place.