May Third

"Ouch. That's a lot of money." This is what Alex has to say as soon as he sees the price tag. We're hanging in front of a store; I won't tell you which one yet.

"I know," I reply, because it's true. Well beyond my means. That's why I'm asking Alex, of all people. Martin is always broke, and I did what I could to save money, but there's only so much a guy like me can really save.

"And it has to be this one, right?" Alex asks, scratching his head.

"She never told me anything, but she really, really wants this thing," I explain. I can't take my eyes off it; nor can I take my eyes off its intimidating price tag. "I mean, it really doesn't have to be this one, because she's not really expecting it; it's just that I know how much she likes it because she's constantly looking at it when we walk past this place."

"I don't know if I have that much money to lend you, though," Alex says. He looks truly sorry, too.

I try not to deflate, but it's pretty hard, because Alex is pretty savvy with his finances. He's just saying, "I don't know," to let me down easy.

I need a plan B, and I need it now, because if Alex can't help me, this isn't going anywhere.

"Fret not," he says suddenly. "I have an idea." He produces his phone from his pocket and types out a message. Twenty minutes later, a bunch of Alex's friends have gathered around us. We all bump fists, because that's what cool guys do, and then someone asks the obvious question—the one I've been wondering about, too.

"Okay, what's this all about?"

"John, explain," Alex says, shoving my shoulder lightly, like I have any idea why he summoned all of his friends! And friendly as they try to be, at least with me, they're still Alex's British punk gang, and they're kind of a scary-looking bunch. Since I can't seem to find the right words, Alex fills in for me. "So," he says, "this little guy here wants to get that thing for his beloved sweetheart." He points at the item (no spoilers), and the guys all bunch together in front of the window to check it out.

A short guy—the one with the most menacing hair spikes in the group, whistles. "Whoa! No kid your age should be allowed to spend that kind of money. No offense, mind you."

"Still looks fancy as fuck, though," another of Alex's friends says.

He's right; it does. In fact, it's the most amazing thing ever, which is why I want it for my Vee.

"The thing is," Alex explains, "John here doesn't have the money for it, and since I'm constantly lending you fuckers my own cash, I'm kind of broke, too."

"So, is this some kind of fundraising thing?" Short Guy asks.

"Something like that. If you guys give me forty dollars each, I'll consider all your debts cleared."

"Including the one-twenty I borrowed for my guitar?"

Whoa! One hundred and twenty dollars?! Wait, that means... "But," I stammer. "You'd lose like eighty dollars off of that trade! You can't short yourself like that just to help me out!"

Alex doesn't answer. Instead, he fixes his stare on Short Guy, clearly waiting for his answer.

"I don't have forty on me right now..." Short Guy searches his pockets and pulls out a crumpled twenty and a couple of fives, and places them in Alex's open hand.

"I'll cover for you, don't worry," says a guy with an owl tattooed on his neck. He adds a fifty-dollar bill to Alex's still-open palm. "I'm still paying you that two-hundred-and-forty I borrowed to fix my bike, okay?"

TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY? Just how much money is Alex owed, anyway?

"Don't worry about it, Drake," Alex says. "I'm doing this to help out my cousin here."

"Still, I fixed Theresa thanks to you."

Theresa? His bike has a name?

"So, why is that thing so important to you, anyway?" asks Short Guy again, and as nice as he's trying to be, he's still intimidating as hell.

"It's a special day tomorrow," I manage, not sure yet how I feel about Alex's money extortion thing. I try to ignore how this could look, as though these guys are all ganging up to bully me to any pedestrian passing by.

"Huh," Short Guy finally says. "'Kay, then. Hope it works out well for you, fella."

"Thanks."

All of the guys take turns adding to the pool. In the end, Alex gives me another eighty of his own, and with the money I already had on me, I actually have enough to destroy that enemy tag!

"Wow. It's going to take me forever to pay you back, Alex..."

"No rush, John, and if it's all in the name of true love, then it's totally worth it. Now go buy that thing."

I resist my urge to hesitate, clutch hard to the wad of bills in my hand, and go inside the store.

And, hell no. I'm still not telling you yet what I'm buying for my Vee.