Still ten days at best

Despite Eliza's best attempts at forcing us to have breakfast with her, I manage get Vee out of the house. That's how we end up spending a couple of hours at Marco's, eating croissants, drinking coffee—because yes, Vee decides to try some mocha latte—and reading books.

We cozy up on the couch at the back of the café—the same one we occupied on our anniversary last May, and even though it's super quiet, my current company is the best I could ever ask for. That aside, I still can't seem to silence the buzz in my head. Because Martin will wake up again at some point and learn the hard truth I'm so stubbornly avoiding, and when that happens, my sweet dream of this fantasy life I'm currently living, will become a terrible nightmare.

"Is it boring, sweetheart?" Vee lays her palm on my cheek. She's talking about my book—the one she has specifically picked for me to read.

"No," I lie. "It's interesting." That's the third lie today and it's not even noon. Truthfully, I don't remember a word I've read. "I just can't focus today for some reason."

I'll give you a hint, buddy. Maybe it has something to do with the languishing world you're going to have to say goodbye to in a matter of DAYS.

"Want to try a different one?"

I scratch my chin and try to look thoughtful. "Hmmmm...you think you can find a book that's more interesting than the mesmerizing scent of your hair?"

She gives me an eye roll and a half-smile. "You mean the same shampoo I use every day?"

"I think I expressed it more romantically, but yeah, pretty much." I smile at her and close my book. "There's also the fact that I want to go back in time and crawl back into bed with you."

Or go a little farther back and just kill Grandma.

"Hmmmm... that was intense." She grins before reaching forward and kissing my neck, and to my surprise, she gives me a little seductive bite.

I swear, this girl has no idea of how crazy she makes me feel lately.

"If Martin hadn't called, I would have found it hard to stop, you know."

"What about Mom snooping, though?"

"Allow me to show you how much I care about the rest of the world right now." I pull her to me, kissing her slowly and deeply right on the back couch in the middle of freaking Marco's. They can come at me and try to kick me out. Like I care. All I care about is right here, shifting in her seat to kiss me more deeply, with a new hunger that drives me nuts.

Her hands clutch the front of my t-shirt and beg me to get closer, and the only problem with that is, I can't get close enough with all these layers of fabric between us! I want to feel her skin on mine again. Her tongue darts into my mouth and arrests mine—

The fucking phone again.

She pulls back from me and leans her head back on the seat. "I really want to destroy that phone of yours right now."

But this is the call I've been dreading. The end of days is finally upon us, and I really hope I'm not conveying that crude truth with my eyes as I listen to Martin's rant.

I excuse myself, head to the restroom, then brace myself for what's coming.

Martin is anything but calm. "What, in the name of all the fucks on earth, is actually going on here?!" Angry Martin is not a good Martin.

"You probably know more than I do," I say, which may or may not be true.

"What is this crazy fucking BULLSHIT about you going away?!" His voice cracks, and for a moment, I think he's actually going to lose it for real.