Apocalypse now

John

If anyone ever asks me why I love my girlfriend so much, I'd tell them it's because of two things: one, she can lift my mood like nobody else in the whole world can (even more than Martin and Alex), and two, she has a knack for knowing exactly how to deal with me. That's why, after waiting for the time it takes her mother to leave their house for work; after being completely sure the house is empty, we finally allow ourselves to move out from our spot under the stairs.

You might ask why, so go ahead and take a stab at it: maybe we want to get something to eat? Maybe we want to read books back to back in her room? Maybe we want to fall asleep on her couch, cuddle in her living room, make love... you name it. But you'd be wrong. We're here to play videogames on her 32-inch TV, because she knows how much I love videogames, and to my big surprise, Vee's really into some co-op shooter game called Zombie League. Go figure.

Not only that; she's beating the hell out of me. She even outperforms me while munching from a bowl full of dry cereal.

"Watch it, John, to your right!" she shouts, her mouth full. Then there's a quick rat-tat-tat-tat and zombie brains splatter against the wall.

"I don't know how you got so good at this game," I tell my girlfriend.

"Me either," Vee says. "Because it's not like I play twenty hours a day or anything."

Vee hardly plays videogames at all.

"I guess it makes sense," I say. "You're a quick learner no matter what you take on."

Vee frowns. "Are you calling me nerd, John Foster?"

"I wouldn't dare." And then, I shoot the last zombie, which makes us clear the stage. We celebrate with a kiss that is the perfect combination of bliss and fruit loops, except we get carried away and end up getting killed as the next stage starts.

"Are you feeling better now?" she asks, idly fixing my shirt.

"Yes," I say. "Thanks to you." I give her a big smile and caress her flawless cheek to show her I'm fine.

"Good. Because you worried me today."

"I know, and I'm sorry."

"I think you should apologize to your mother."

Immediately, my muscles tense. "Eh, about that..." I squeeze out of her hands, and look away. "I don't think I'm going to do that."

"Of course, you are, young man!" Vee says, shaking a maternal finger at me.

"What the hell?" I say. I think she's trying to be funny, but it irks me just the same. "You can't call me young man like my mother does!" She's even using Mom's warning tone, for Pete's sake.

But Vee remains undaunted. "I can, and I will, until you pick up your damned phone and tell her you're sorry for fighting with her earlier."

"Vee," I say, trying hard to remain calm. "Sunshine. I know you mean well and all, but we're supposed to be in class right now, and she might get a little suspicious if I call her right now."

Vee narrows her eyes, unsure whether I'm being honest, or if I'm trying to placate her.

"Okay," she says finally. "I'm going to let it pass for now, but you're still calling her before lunch, and you're going to do it in front of me."

I guess I can't outsmart my Vee after all.

"And," Vee says, "we're supposed to be at school right now, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't send her a message."

"That's not fair."

"It's not fair that you've forced your mother to have to worry about a petty fight she had with you while she's on a stressful long trip."

"You know this situation isn't fair to me either." I'm raising my voice now, because it kind of pisses me off the way Vee is definitely on #TeamMom right now. "I know Grandma is her mother and everything," I say. "I get that. But while she's taking care of her, I'm stuck here, nibbling on my own nails, hoping and wishing this whole thing doesn't blow up and screw up everybody's lives."

Vee hesitates for a minute before she speaks, and I can tell she's getting angrier. "Well, I didn't know your own pride was more important than supporting your own mother, who is probably having a pretty hard time with all this too, John." Veronica raises her voice well above her unusual thirty-decibel threshold. "I'm pretty sure that behind all of that anger and pride of yours, you know she's doing what she thinks is best, and she deserves better than this."

The "GAME OVER" sign from Zombie League flashes on the TV screen as Vee and I hold each other's gaze. She's right; I know she is. But still.

"Maybe she does," I say. "But I guess I'm too much of a selfish prick to let her have things her way." I pick up my backpack and head for the front door.

"Shame on you, John." Vee admonishes from the couch.

The only reply I have for her is the angry click of the door as it shuts behind me.