Detention: Part Two

Nathaniel's POV:

"A date? Advice? Sounds good to me!" Alix agreed to help. 

"So, what should I do?" I asked. 

"Keep it casual. First, ask her if she's free. If she sais yes, then invite her out somewhere, but don't say 'as friends'. Tell her you have something important to tell her. If she says that she's not free, then ask her when she'll be." Alix told me.

"Ok, and how do I tell her or him my feelings?" I inquired.

"Him? Nathaniel... are you gay?" Alix asked. 

"No, I'm bi." I responded.

"What? Why didn't you tell me? Am I not your best friend?" Alix demanded.

"Sorry, sorry," I replied, chuckling.

"Anyways. Telling him your feelings? That's the hard part. You should wait until the end, and tell him! If he rejects you, that's the end of your friendship. If he accepts, then you're good!" 

"Alix! That's way too risky!" I argued. "Shouldn't I wait a while to find out if he likes me too?" 

"Whatever you want, punk." Alix shrugged. "That's my advice. Take it or leave it. Anyways, I gotta bounce. Have a competition to attend."

I sighed. How will this ever work?

Marc's POV:

I sat down beside my computer. 

'Warm fuzzy feeling', I searched.

A dozen of results popped up. 

'It's love', one said.

'It means you feel comfortable as friends, or even more around that person', another said.

"Do I... like Nathaniel?" I asked myself. But even if I did, he'd probably not accept. I am gay, after all. What if he's not?

"What will I do?" I groaned.

*-- Time Skip to next day --*

Nathaniel's POV:

Miss Mendeleiev was sitting across from me, and I'd told her about asking someone out on a date.

How did I get into this situation?

First, I'd been sent to detention again. For drawing in my sketchbook, of course.

"Nathaniel Kurtzburg, what's wrong?" Miss Mendeleiev asked me. "I've noticed your behaviour a while now. You can tell me anything." 

I sighed. I mean, what was there to lose? It's not like she'd tell anyone... What am I thinking? I probably haven't got enough sleep. Asking a teacher for dating advice was a big no-no.

"I, I..." I tried to speak. "I... wait. Will you promise not to tell anyone?" I asked.

"Of course, Nathaniel." 

"I, I want to ask someone out but I don't know how," I blurted out. 

Miss Mendeleiev smiled. "Ah, love. Of course, that's what's been on your mind. Well, I suggest that you find out if they like anyone first. If they don't, then ask them out on a date, but don't call it a date. Or even better, have it set up!" Miss Mendeleiev said.

"Set up? What do you mean?" I asked.

"You could ask some of your friends if they could set up a small date with you and Marc. Like Kim, you know how he loves to do dares?" 

"Yeah?" Where was she getting at?

"You could ask Kim if he could dare you to ask Marc on a date. Tell Marc that it's a dare, and when it's over, you could tell him that it was real and you like him."

"What? That's wayyyyy to risky! What if he doesn't like me?"

Miss Mendeleiev smiled. "I know a lot about my students. I read his notebook, and he's been writing about you, Nathaniel. I believe this points to the fact that he likes you."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"You know, I was a young girl before. I know all about love."

I cocked my head. "Right." 

"Now, go! I'm letting you off early." Miss Mendeleiev told me. 

"Thank you," I said gratefully. Who knew that she could be such a help? The supposed mean, strict and scary teacher.

"Anytime, Nathaniel."