xii| Recuperating

Maria woke up in her bed the next morning, curious about how she got there, but more about the throbbing headache that was splitting her head

Dismissing it, for now, she got dressed and headed down to the great hall. Walking up the aisle, Maria caught a glimpse of Minerva's smirk, making her wonder: what on earth had she done last night?

Kneading her head, Maria slotted down in between Minerva and Albus. Before either of them could embarrass her further, she quickly interjected, " Don't say a word,"

"I wasn't going to, " Minerva replied, smirking.

"Sure, that I believe." Maria snarkily commented, sending glades down at the Gryffindor table, where a certain band of lads laughed uncontrollably. Their plan had worked.

Maria, still in a bad mood, took a bite out of toast and stormed out of the great hall, the loud noises doing nothing for her hangover, and headed up to the astronomy tower until her classes began.

"Now, today we're going to delve back into the fundamentals of our ancestors and their magic. Who can tell me how magic started?"

The sudden question broke over the quiet murmuring of the early morning class, as Professor Lightly abruptly dumped her papers on the desk at the front of the room, giving the marauders an "I won't deal with your nonsense today" look, rubbing her temples in hope of relief.

"To put it another way, what was the first field of magic? Was it transfiguration? Perhaps one of the dark arts? Or even fairy magic? Anyone?" Maria slumped into her chair, waiting for a students reply.

When one never came, she called out a name at random, "Yes, Mr Cresswell."

"...Charms?"

"Good guess, but not quite. Anyone else, " her eyes landed on the marauders, but they were too busy talking to notice, " if you're going to continue chatting, please do so quietly, it's doing my head in, "

Sirius and James shared a smirk, and leaning towards James, Sirius made a testing comment, " that's not the only things doing in her head in, "

James burst out laughing, only stopped when Remus sensibly copped that Maria's gaze was lingering on them.

Shaking her head, Maria landed on Adelaide, " Yes, Miss Mendler."

"Herbology?"

"Very close; two points to Hufflepuff. It is vital for us to remember that the prominent concern for people for most of human history has been one: of how to get enough food to survive. It was this that led our ancestors to abandon their hunter-gather ways of life and build the first cities."

Maria, while sitting down, used her fairy dust to illustrate a picture of a young family, walking through forests and settling with others in the town; the little girl holding on to her mother's hand with eyes full of wonder.