xvii| Charm and Harm

*if you want to be extra sad while reading this, put this song on repeat, it really helps to get the waterworks going.*

Maria glowered at the stone gargoyle guarding the headmaster's office

Maria glowered at the stone gargoyle guarding the headmaster's office. For the last six minutes, the golden staircase refused to open, leaving Maria in a foul mood. For some strange reason, the usual bowl of confectionaries that corresponded to the password had disappeared. An easy guess as to who did it.

"Acid pops," she stated, waiting for the statue to move.

Still, nothing happened.

"Liquorice Wands."

Nothing.

"Lemon drops?"

The gargoyle remained immobile as the stone it was carved from. Maria was beginning to get frustrated, her fluctuating hormones only adding fuel to the fire. She tried simple spells such as "Alohamora," yet the gargoyle wouldn't budge. Then she tried some of her own spells, lo and behold they didn't work.

"Oh for the love of- I need to speak with the headmaster! It's a matter of importance!" the fairy raged at the creature, hurdling the most inequitable of language at it.

"You great rocky halfwit. Sherbert Lemon! Sugar Quills! Mint Humbugs! Lollipop! Butterscotch." her temper rose as her guess failed. Why, out of all the passwords in the world, did he have to choose sweets? It was utterly infuriating.

Two Hufflepuffs paused to watch the History of Magic professor shout names of delicacies at the statue before hurrying on. They hadn't known Professor Lightly to be annoyed at such a simple task.

Calming down a tad, Maria immediately put on her teaching voice," I am in no mood to be trifled with-"

"Professor?"

A small yelp left Maria as she spun around, only to find Remus behind her, looking concerned.

"Remus," she greeted, clearing her throat," How are you today? Looking forward to the feast tonight I supposed, I've heard there is a black forest gateau there."

"Oh...Lovely." he cast a glance towards the gargoyle in puzzlement," Do you need the password, Professor?"

"Yes please Remus, no doubt James and Sirius took the sweet bowl." Maria moved over to the left, allowing the boy space to utter the password.

"Pumpkin Pasties," Soon enough, the statue unfolded, allowing Maria to enter.

"Thank you again, Remus, with this little one on the way now, I'll need all the help I can get to stay afloat," she thanked him, laughing towards the end as she placed her hands around her slightly more prominent bump.

Bidding one last farewell, the staircase started to move upwards, finally sending Maria up to the headmaster's office. It didn't take long to reach the top, the fairy knocking on the wooden door. When no response came, Maria slowly opened the door, peeking her head through.