𝙀𝙥𝙞𝙡𝙤𝙜𝙪𝙚

Maria's heart stopped when the interdimensional portal closed behind her

Maria's heart stopped when the interdimensional portal closed behind her. A pain she had never felt before encapsulated her lungs as she struggled to breathe, a few stray tears slipping from her eyes. The past few months had numbed the fairies' senses, and now in one burst of emotion, all her sentiments overwhelmed the system.

What have I done? She murmured to herself, lowering herself onto the ground in an attempt to slow her pulsing heart. A small voice in the back of her head was quick to remind her of her purpose. Pull yourself together, Maria! You know there was nothing left for you at Hogwarts, so get up and get on with it.

Making sure no one was around to see her breakdown, she cast a spell to remove all traces of tear stains and restored the flawlessness to her makeup. After she had smoothed out the creases from her dress, Maria picked up her luggage and began her walk down the cobblestones to the place she had called home during her childhood and into her teenage years: Alfea College for Fairies.

All the memories of her school days re-emerged in her mind as she came closer and closer to the border walls that separated mortals from those gifted with magic. Maria was beyond ecstatic at this point. The smile that was absent for so long crept onto her lips as she passed through the barrier. Once the school came into view, the fairy enchanted her cases to follow her and transformed into her fairy form.

Giving her wings an energetic flutter, Maria soared into the air, relishing the breeze as she flew towards Alfea. Now, this was something she missed. Gazing along the horizon, an inquisitive sparrow challenged the fairy's speed, passing her out. Smirking to herself, Maria gave her wings a large flap, zipping across the treetops where she pulled up and stopped. The bird was quick to catch her, landing on a nearby branch.

"You have a lot to learn, my friend," she told the sparrow, her smile growing when she realized she was at the gates.

The bird tweeted a mellifluous tweet before flying back to its nest. Taking a deep breath as she landed, Maria opened the gates, making a butterfly with her hands. Looking around her, the fairy revelled in her surroundings. Her eyes lit up as she came upon a familiar face, dashing over to her.  However, when the figure seemed unaware of Maria's presence, she decided to dust off her old tricks.

"Full name and date of birth," the tall woman demanded, her eyes glued to a checklist of new student arrivals, with a pair of dark glasses resting on the bridge of her nose.

" I hardly think that's necessary," Maria replied, hoping to get a reaction.

The woman's expression hardened as she repeated the question with urgency, still not looking up from the enchanted paper.

Rolling her eyes, Maria huffed," Maria Mavilla Lightly, 1st of May 1927, but you already knew that, Grizzy."

Lifting her eyes off the paper, Griselda leapt up in the air, encapsulating the other fairy in a tender hug. This was what Maria missed most about Magix: her friends. After they broke away, Maria took a moment to study her friend. She had grown quite a lot older than Maria, with grey hairs reminding the fairy how much time had passed since she last set foot in Alfea, time passed since the war.