xxiv| The End is Always Near

In the months since Harry's birth, Maria had become an almost surrogate mother for James and Sirius, dropping in every weekend for Sunday dinner and spoiling both her godsons

In the months since Harry's birth, Maria had become an almost surrogate mother for James and Sirius, dropping in every weekend for Sunday dinner and spoiling both her godsons. This new role in her life had given the fairy a new lease of hope, putting her idea of leaving on the backburner.

But just because her life was back on track, didn't mean everyone else's had. Only two weeks after Harry's first birthday, the Potters had to go into hiding after a nasty run-in with death eaters. James, Sirius and other members of the order had stormed a supposed death eater headquarters but found themselves in a trap set up by Sirius' deranged cousin Bellatrix Black, now Lestrange.

After hearing about the duel, Maria immediately summoned Albus to set about casting the Fidelius charm on the Potter residence, knowing well how Bella liked to play with her food.  Once he arrived, the group went about setting the secret keeper.

"Professor, Lily and I think you should be the secret keeper, you said it yourself, Voldemort wouldn't dream of coming after you!" James reasoned with the headmaster who promptly shook his head.

"I'm afraid that would be too obvious,"

"What about Maria?" Lily suggested after emerging from the kitchen with a baby bottle.

Maria hastily nodded her head," He'd have to kill me himself before I gave my family up,"

Sirius and Remus jubilantly agreed, shooting looks of disgust at each other. It was no secret to them that both wizards hadn't been on the best of terms.

"That would also be too obvious, we need someone unsuspecting, someone, who has slipped under Tom's radar," Dumbledore reiterated, pretending not to notice Maria's harsh glare burning holes in the back of his head.

"I'll do it," Remus put forward, immediately shot down by Sirius.

"Yeah, and sell them out just as quick,"

"Sirius," Maria warned, but he continued throwing accusations anyway.

" I think we all know who's more likely to sell the other out here," Remus countered matter of factly.

"Bit rich coming from you Remus, he's already gained you lot's support,"

Sitting up from his chair, Remus clenched his jaw as he spoke, "My lot? Has everyone just forgotten your parents are Voldemort's loyalist followers?"

At this point, James was holding back Sirius, and Maria was talking down Remus. Poor Harry had woken up abruptly from his nap and began to wail, only adding to the tension in the room.

"You're not starting this now, not in front of Harry. You're grown men, not petty schoolboys," Maria told them down like she was their teacher again.

"He's the one that started it, it's the wolf inside, the real Remus," Sirius' taunt was the last straw, and Remus swung for him.

A brawl broke out between the men, going at each other like alley cats. James was stuck in the middle, trying to keep the peace without picking sides. Looking over in Albus's direction, Maria gave him pleading eyes to intervene.