Chapter 1-Following in their footsteps

(Jasmine's pov)

'Holy crap I'm nervous' I said in my head while sitting down on the airship taking me to beacon, unlike my mother (Ruby) I didn't advance two years which I'm fine with. Even though I'm nervous beyond anything I don't look nervous, I'm just sat here with my back straight, my hands in my lap and my right leg over the other with a slight smile on my face, I look around and see the other students talking to each other or looking at the view of Vale, then I see my cousin Violet sit next to me smiling "Hey cous, you nervous?" She says with one of her rabbit ears lopsided and moving her weapon in its handbag form into her lap.

"Nope" I say popping the p and returning her smile "Figures, what does the great Jasmine Summer Rose have to be nervous about" Violet responds, I playfully punch her in the arm which she responds by chuckling. I do the same 'She is such a goof', "So, did you get it?" Violet asks excitedly, her eyes wide , I know what she's referring to but I decide it'll be more fun to tease her a bit "I have no idea what you're referring to" I say while moving my backpack over my waist so she can't see it "Oh c'mon! Don't tease me, I generally want to know!" Violet complains while sitting on her knees on the seat next to me.

I chuckle at her reaction before moving my bag to the floor revealing the hilt of my new weapon, Violet's eyes go wide as I slowly remove the blade from the sheath. Myrtenaster, my mother's weapon when she was a huntress, I run my fingers along the spine of the blade while Violet's eyes widen even more "That is so cool! Don't get me wrong Gianduja is cool and all but this is a legendary weapon" Violet says while debating if she could touch it or not "I'm going to tell aunt Coco you said that" I say coldly "Oh okay ice queen" Violet said with a smirk.

I stare at Violet for a few moments before snapping back to reality "Thank you" I say out of nowhere making Violet confused "For what?" I look at her smiling "My new nickname" I reply, Violet returns the smile before a hologram appears in front of the windows "Hello, I'm Glynda Goodwitch the headmistress of Beacon academy, you are among a privileged few who have received the honor of being selected to attend this prestigious academy! Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace, and as future Huntsmen and Huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and now it is our turn to provide you with the knowledge and the training to protect our world".

After the speech has ended the hologram disappears as the airship lands Violet immediately stands up and bolts for the exit 'She kind of reminds of when Uncle Jaune would throw up after long airship rides'. I chuckle at her enthusiasm while standing up. I sheath Myrtenaster, fix my combat skirt and adjust my grandmothers cloak, as I walk to the exit to the catch up with my cousin, I throw my bag over my shoulder but before exiting I stand at doorway "Here we go" I say to myself with a nervous tone of voice, I then exit the airship and walk towards Violet as she flails her arms around "Hurry up! We don't have all day!" I chuckle as we walk towards Beacon 'This is definitely going to be interesting'.

(Rose residence, third pov)

Weiss moves from the kitchen to the living room with a cup of coffee in her hand, she sets the mug on the table as she sits on the couch and grabs her book and glasses. After half an hour of reading she hears a buzz coming from her scroll Weiss puts a bookmark on the page she was reading and places it on the table in front of her before grabbing her scroll from her pocket and reads the message from her daughter "Hi ma! I got to Beacon in one piece. I'll call you later and tell you how the initiation went also Violet says hi, p.s I inherited the nickname ice queen".

Weiss chuckles at the message and starts thinking about Ruby but before she could think anymore about her wife Weiss' scroll rings she looks at the caller i.d and smiles "Speak of the devil" Weiss says to herself while answering the video call "Hey petal" Weiss says looking at Ruby and smiling "Hey snowflake, how are you?" Ruby asks sitting on a tree log in a forest "I'm fine but I really should be asking you that" Weiss responds by taking a sip of her coffee "You worry too much I'm fine honestly" Ruby responds while adjusting her belt.

"So how's Jas?" Ruby asks with a sad tone in her voice, Weiss sigh's before answering "She starts at Beacon today" Ruby looks down and sighs before looking back at the screen "I wish I could of seen her off" Ruby says forcing a smile and holding back tears, Weiss notice this and tries to change the subject "So when are you getting back?" "Probably by the end of next week" Ruby answers, still forcing a smile which makes Weiss upset seeing the one she loves unhappy "Hey when you get back how about we visit Jas at Beacon".

Ruby chuckles at her wife's attempt to cheer her up before answering "Yeah that sounds great, so how's the cafe business going?" after Weiss retired from being a huntress to raise Jasmine she started a cafe called the whiterose to help pay the bills and also something for her to do which she enjoys immensely "Yeah it's been great, I've been thinking of doing a student discount since Jas and Violet are starting at Beacon".

After Weiss finishes talking Ruby's eyes go wide and sports a real smile on her face "That's a brilliant idea! Man I forgot that Violet starts at Beacon as well it's good to know that Jas will have someone she knows there" Weiss laughs at Ruby's reaction but Ruby cuts her off "Do you know if any of the other kids are going to Beacon?" Weiss answers with a sad tone "It's only Jas and Violet going to Beacon, Ralph and Shen (Ren and Nora's kid) are going to Haven" starts but gets cut off by Ruby "I feel sorry for Ren, bad enough being the headmaster of Haven he has to deal with the Thunder twins in out of the academy" Weiss nods in agreement before continuing "Mars (Sun and Neptune's kid) is going to the new academy in Menagerie Fang, Yin's (Yang and Blake's kid) still going to one of the combat schools in Menagerie".

After Salem was killed Menagerie became a fifth kingdom in remnant and only recently finished building a hunter (huntsman/huntress) academy along with a few combat schools "I'm sure Jas will be fine, hey we made friends pretty easily" Weiss says reflecting on their past "Yeah we did, hell I even married my best friend" Ruby responds with a childish grin making Weiss blush redder than Ruby's cloak "Shut up you dolt!" Weiss shouts making Ruby laugh hard "Ruby Rose after twenty years you are the only one who can make me blush brighter than your cloak" Weiss says after a few minutes of hearing ruby laugh.

The two gaze lovingly at each other for several minutes until there's a growl of a grimm in the background annoying Ruby "Oh for god's sake! Sorry snow angel I'm going to have to call you later, bye!" Ruby says and ends the video call "Dolt" Weiss says as she places her scroll on the table and goes back to reading her book after a few minutes of reading she looks up at the wall covered in family photos from the formation of team RWBY to Jasmine's first training lesson, Weiss smiles as she goes back to reading her book while humming This will be the day.