PART SEVENTEEN

•••

Thankfully, Fwega wasn't dead.

She would be told later that the child had healed her, but for now, she had to deal with a blaster in her face.

They were at a tense standstill; Mando and Greef stared at each other while Fwega stared at the gun being pointed at her face by one of Greef's henchmen. She could see every bit of dirt, every smudge. An imperfection in death.

Two shots were heard, and Fwega closed her eyes in a silent plea.

She heard two people fall to the ground, but the relief she felt was what made her open her eyes.

"There's something you should know."

Greef faced them, his blaster lowered.

"The plan was to kill you and take the kid. But after seeing the royal and the child, I couldn't go through with it."

Mando cocked his head at Greef. "Royal?"

Greef met Fwega's eyes and she shook her head subtly. He nodded at her in respect. "It's not my place to comment. Pink used to be an important color." He shook his head. "This is beside the point. The point is: you can gun me down here and now and it wouldn't violate the Code. But if you do, the child will never be safe."

"We'll take our chances," Cara spat.

"I don't think you understand, dropper. The Imperial client is obsessed with obtaining this asset. You tried to run, and where did that get you?" Greef paused, looking at their unimpressed faces. "This is ridiculous."

"Perhaps we should let him speak," Kuiil offered. He nodded at him to continue.

"Listen, we both need the child eliminated. Just let me take the child to him-"

"No." The Mandalorian said.

He thought for a moment, ignoring Cara's comments.

"He's right."

Everyone watched him in varying degrees of shock.

"Bring me."

°°°

"Do you promise to stay safe?"

Fwega felt his hand linger at her waist and she turned around, her back now to the blurrg.

"Do you?"

Mando sighed in defeat and snaked his arms around her waist, staring at her face.

"You still owe me that kiss, wife," he told her, reveling in the way she blushed. Her hands covered her face as she giggled.

When her face had cooled off, she looked up at him.

"If we make it out of this I'll let you have much more than just a kiss."

She could sense his embarrassment and anticipation and she laughed, pushing his arms off her waist.

"Tease," he muttered. She kissed his helmet before mounting the blurrg.

"I'll be fine," she tossed down to him, before weaving a bead out of her hair.

"Here." She dropped it to his waiting hand. "It's from Galdana. Just in case something happens."

"Don't say that Fwega-"

"Goodbye, Din."

He watched her ride beside Kuiil's blurrg, tilting forward in her saddle.

He watched her until he could barely see her in the distance, until only a flash of pink and blue visible.

And for the first time, he wondered if he would ever see her again.

°°°

They were so close.

Fwega could hear the ships behind them, and she urged her blurrg to go faster, faster, but the sound just kept getting nearer. Kuiil's panic and determination mixed with the thrill and adrenaline of the two troopers behind her in a dizzying combination that left her reeling.

It was almost euphoric; the last time she felt like this she was in a room with her advisors. But that was a long, long time ago.

She thought of Galdana as she rode. If these moments were to be her last, she wanted to remember everything about herself.

She thought of the child, who had saved her life more than once, and had meant more to her than words could say.

She thought of Cara amidst the wind; her smile, her rare laugh. She would heal, eventually, and find a partner one day to share in her adventures.

Fwega thought of Din. His kindness towards her, their laying together when no one else was watching. She thought of his description of his face; brown eyes, broad jawline, dark hair.

But most important of all, she thought of how much she truly loved him.

The speeder had caught up to then by now.

And the last thing Fwega saw was it heading straight towards Kuiil's blurrg.

•••

Oops sorry she just keeps getting knocked out

Anyways, almost done with this story!! We have one or two more chapters to go and this is done :((

Thanks for sticking with me, or if you're new, hello!! (comment plz lol)

Hope you enjoyed!!