PART THIRTY

•••

The Razor Crest chugged along slowly, limping across the wide expanse of space. Ropes were strewn all over the cockpit, Fwega pushing them away from her as they kept falling into her face.

"What's got you so annoyed?" Mando didn't look up from the controls, feeling Fwega's surprise and smiling.

"Still can't believe we're doing this," she replied, shifting in her seat once again. "There's ropes everywhere, and the ship is shaking-"

There came a "chhhh!" behind them and the controls started beeping erratically. Mando pressed a few buttons but the beeping continued, Fwega's hands covering her ears as the sound started to pry its way into her brain.

Mando got up from the dashboard after tapping some controls and opened a panel in the back of the cockpit, looking down the long, narrow shaft. He paused for a moment, thinking, then his attention was drawn to the child as it cooed over at Fwega from the other chair.

"Alright, little man." He picked it up, placing it at the entrance of the tunnel. "I'm going to need you to go down there."

It paused, looking up at him as if asking permission.

"Go on." Mando nudged it forward.

"Do you really think that this is a good idea?" Fwega asked him, now standing beside him and watching the child traverse the wires.

"It'll be fine." He didn't sound very confident.

They watched him as he halted at the end of the tunnel, looking to Mando for reassurance.

"Good job. Now, I need you to take the blue wire out of the socket. The blue one. Do you have it in your hand?"

The child held it up.

"Okay, good. Now use both hands and pull it out. Pull it. You got it."

He pulled it out and Fwega nodded, laughing as the child smiled at them.

"Alright, now grab ahold of the red wire. Do you have it?"

He grabbed it, the blue in one hand and red in the other. Mando and Fwega's heads knocked against each other as they both tried to watch him.

"Now, do you see where the blue one was? Plug the red one where the blue one was, okay? But don't let them touch." Mando watched, his hand reaching out for a split second but bringing it back in again when he couldn't quite reach where the child was.

"You see where you took the blue one off? Yes, now put the red one… No, don’t put the blue one back. Put the red one where the blue one was. And put the blue one where the red one was. But be careful. They’re oppositely charged, so keep them away from each other. Make sure you hold them apart from… No, hold them apart-"

The child touched them together and he squeaked, Fwega gasping as smoke filled the tunnel.

"You okay?" Fwega yelled down it, hearing the child cough in response.

"There's no way we're making it to Corvus in this shape." Mando sighed, his frustration apparent in the now smoky cockpit.

He looked down at Fwega, who was helping the child out of the entrance of the tunnel.

"We're going to need some repairs. How do you feel about going back to Nevarro?"

Fwega's head snapped up and her smile grew wide, Mando feeling her utter excitement at the thought of seeing her friends again.

"Yes!" She laughed and spun the child around, stopping after she got dizzy. Mando watched her child-like antics, the child himself giggling.

"Nevarro it is, then."

•••

Kinda short but hopefully the next ones will be long!

Ngl I was not vibing with this season until this episode, which I thoroughly enjoyed (maybe just because Cara 🥺) but still, it was side quest-y but still had some relevant plot so I loved it :)

Hope you enjoyed!