O N E : C O O K I E S

CHAPTER ONE

When I wake up in the morning, it was snow. I am in the snow. What am I doing here? My red nightgown was all wet meaning I already sleep in the snow for a while before I wake up. What happens? The more I looked at my surrounding, the more I realized that I am in the forest.

Shit.

It's the forbidden forest.

The one that grandma said was haunted with the ghost. I never really want to believe grandma but she had been telling me all sort of stories for years and it started to make me believe her.

How am I ended here? I definitely have no memory on that. I need to wait for my memory to come back but before that, I need to get out from the cold white snow. My feet and hand wrinkled. I feel the cold breeze gushed made me shivered.

I walked toward the sunrise toward the sun since I don't now which where to go. I did not find any foot trace on the snow. I walked passed many tall trees before I can see a clearing. And there I saw wolves fighting very viciously like they were in an intense war.

There are many wolves. When I say many, it's like more than hundreds in the clearing snared and pounced on each other. They did not playfully play with each other just like in National Geographic. I can see real blood splattered on the snow. What made these wolves so angry?

The hell.

It's really was forbidden forest.

The story grandma said would probably true. If it's true, I had to slowly and quietly turn back as if I don't see anything. I could be killed by these wolves before I get killed by a ghost or frostbite. This is the time when you regret you did not listen to your grandma.

Damn.

Slowly I walked to another direction. I need to get out of this forest immediately. I am in danger right now. I can't outrun the wolves not in this snow and not in this nightgown. Walking in the thick snow really tiring me and I cannot go far from the scene as fast as I want.

But I did not give up. Grandma could get up around this time and will get a heart attack if she discovered her only granddaughter was not in her bed. I can see a street light still on from far. I am very sure it was from grandma's house. And that only means she had not to wake up yet.

She always pestering me to save the electric so we don't have to pay high bills. When I get out of the forest, I feel like a burden just falls off me. The snow really drained my energy to the extent that I am already tired to start the morning. And it is a Monday morning for God sake.

Give me a break.

I pushed the fence slightly as it already opened. It must be me who walked out of the gate. My memory got back in a ton of flashback. I knew I am sleepwalker but I never get into the forest. The farthest I ever got was to sleep in our pumpkin garden.

I guess my sleep waking was getting worse. It must be because of the party that this small town hosting. I don't really understand the sole purpose but anything that involved baking cookies was a good thing. It means I can get money. I am crazy about making money.

Call me materialistic but I love money.

Not that I want to spend it all to shopping on lavish things. I want to settle my parents debts and after that, I want to travel but that plan will be postponed since grandma was old and sick. I already paid my parents debt, maybe another time when the time was right.

I opened the back door and closed it quickly. The warm of the house engulfed me like a preheated oven. When I looked back at the forest, I see a wolf standing at the edge of the forest looking at my direction. Looking at me. The blood on its fur was dripping and its face covered with blood.

Horror.

I almost get killed.

My hand quickly locked the door. Even though I knew the wolf cannot open the door, but who knows. I ignored the scary wolf and get back to my room to change before I get sick and before grandma see her granddaughter in her wet nightgown.

I took a quick shower before I went straight to the kitchen and take out the dough that I had prepared last night. Grandma wakes up an hour later and she stayed in her bed since she did not feel well. She did not feel well since last week and the doctor already warned me for the worst.

She's very old. Old people easily get sick, especially in cold winter. After prepared food for her, I continued to bake the cookies. I need to prepare them on time since my friend will come and take the cookies to the party. I was invited to the party too.

However considering that they were all loaded people, I was thinking that I did not fit in. Most of my friends were pretty, young and heir to rich parents. Actually, not most of my friend but people in this village are all the same except me and grandma. I don't know what business they made but they got a lot of money.

It's almost afternoon when I glanced back at the clock. Why the time always runs so fast when I am working? Any minutes from now my friend will come to collect the cookies since I don't have transportation to send the baked cookies.

"Rissa?!"

Good gracious, speaking of the angel. She's already here.

"What took you so long?" Her sweet voice asked me when she came inside the kitchen.

"I overslept." I avoid telling her the truth.

"It's okay. I will take the one that you already baked. Our guest arrived early than usual. My mother was getting nervous to an unexpected event. So she asked me to retrieved food from our orders." She smiles cheerfully. She always did that.

I scanned the baked cookies in the jars that I already arranged. "You can take everything in the jar. I will send the remaining later." I said as I wiped my hand on the napkin and urge to help her to get the jars into her car.

"Don't forget to wear a good dress, Rissa. Maybe you can find a boyfriend too." She winked. I scoffed.

"I don't think guys will like me."

"Nope. It's you who did not try to talk to them. Ninety percent of the guy I knew shows interest in you. Come to this party, we invited many handsome guest." She winked again while closed the car door. "I'll see you later. Don't rush."

"See you later." 

When she said handsome guest, it's preferred to the people in another town nearby that will come to this small town for gathering. I am not sure what was the agenda but whatever it was, they were coming and that means I need to bake cookies.

I suddenly remembered the cookies I put in the oven before. I ran back to the house and find smoke coming from the oven. RIP my cookies and money. I put the burned cookies in a tray. But I still save some of the half burn cookies. That would be my breakfast tomorrow.

Yup. It's okay to eat burn cookies.