S I X : S A N D W I C H E S

CHAPTER SIX

After being introduced to Sophie, both of the males went to do their job. I looked through the kitchen window as the two of them walked to the prison building. They looked as if they were walking to the most dangerous place on earth.

"It's the most dangerous place in here. You should never go to that direction or anywhere near the building." My eyes widen. She can read my mind? Sophie was washing different sort of vegetables in the sink next to me.

"I never knew they held prisoner in this such place." I commented back.

"We are stuck here together. Let just make food that we love. What do you like Luna?" She smiles tried to cheer up the situation.

"I like cheesy mash potatoes." I replied simply. I brushed aside the name that he called me. This is the second time they call me by that name. I will ask them later but now I need to figure out about this place first.

"Where are other girls?" I don't see any other girls in here even after the tour of the house.

"We are the only girls here. The rest of the girls, woman and children are in the packhouse down the hill since it is dangerous here."

"Oh." I answered dryly. I don't know either having fewer females was good or bad. I need to stay longer to know that. "What is the packhouse?" I asked again.

Sophie stopped washed the vegetable for awhile. Was it that hard to explain the packhouse? She then continued her job. "Well, packhouse is like a whole big family lives together."

That sounds cool. People here were probably nice and live in good relationship within the families. That's not something to worried about. They may not be a mafia gang. They were more like a small community live far away from the modern world.

That suck.

"Alpha said you have a headache. How are you feeling?"

"My head is bearable." I smiled reminding me that there was still a person who asked about my well being. I am naturally can stand the pain. I can still be walking and chat even when I get a slight headache or stomach ache.

We focused on cooking for lunch. There are currently 16 people to be fed including me. There were many lumps of meat to be chop and prepared. Sophie said they only eat once in a day but in lot portion, since they need to take turn guarding the prison.

The prisoners just eat plain sandwiches and boiled eggs once every day. I wonder if that was barbaric but considering that they are a prisoner for a reason, I just kept quiet. Well, at least they got free food. I suddenly remembered my burned cookies that I plan to eat this morning.

"Luna, can you help prepared the sandwich?" She asked while putting a pile of eggs in a giant pot to be boiled. That name again.

"Sure."Quickly picked up loaves of bread in the store and plate from the cabinet.

"How many should I make?" I take out the slices and start to put it in the toast.

"We have 49 prisoners. So, Luna, you have to make 49 sandwiches." She brought packages of chicken slice and a big bowl of washed salad to me who was patiently toasting the bread.

"One bread on top, one chicken slice, one piece of salad and bread on the bottom. Done." She demonstrated the plain sandwiches that she prepared every day. I grimaced to the combination but not comment on anything. That was the saddest sandwiches I ever have seen.

No butter.

No mayo.

No pepper.

No salt.

I am as a baker feel very wounded by the sandwich.

"Can I make one for me?" I asked her politely. I will heal my wounded heart with a luxury sandwich after prepared plain sandwich.

"Sure. You can make whatever you want here Luna." She replied not looking at me as she was busy prepared meat for the guards.

"Can I bake cookies too?"

"Sure. But we need to request the ingredients first. I don't think we have any fancy ingredient except flours for the bread." She smiles back to me while cooking steak meat.

So far I already made 15 sandwiches. I tried to make this in fast speed because I can't wait to make one sandwich for me.

"What kind of meat is that?" My brain cannot stop asking questions because I am naturally very curious person.

"This is deer meat. We breed deer in the land at packhouse. Our diet mainly deer meat. We also breed chicken for the eggs, we have a vegetable farm and fruits." I wonder how packhouse looked like. It would be more cheerful than this place.

"Can I go to packhouse?" I curious about the other people who lived in this community.

"You need to ask Alpha for that."

"I see." So all the decision need to ask Alpha first. By the time I already prepared 43 sandwiches. After three I could be the sandwiches master. I wonder how can she manage to cook and prepared all of this by herself before I came here.

We work in silence until I finished sandwiches for the prisoners. After seeing 49 sad sandwiches, I am so motivated to make one luxury one. I put everything I find in the kitchen except chicken slice or meat into my pile of a sandwich. It turned into a very large portion.

Oops.

Later I saw some guards come to the house. Even though they looked super tired and exhausted, they still came to the kitchen to greet us.

Luna.

Sophie.

And after greet us, they went to their own room. It's 3 hours before lunchtime. They would probably take shower, rest or sleep whatever they want to do. Later, Alpha came alone without River. He sat on the head of the dining table. Sophie quickly served him a plate of big steak to him. I helped her placed another five plate of steak on the right side of the table.

All steak.

Half cooked.

"Nerissa." The alpha called me. This was the first time he called my name. He pronounced it very perfectly. "Bring your food and sit next to me." He demanded while placing his hand on the chair on his left side. I just nodded since I am worried my sandwich already started to soggy with the mayonnaise and other sauces.

By the time, all the guards who came back before were all sat in their place waiting for me to sit. I feel embarrassed for the dozen eyes looking at me as I placed my sandwich on the table. I might look like an alien to them. The different breed of human.

"Let's eat." The Alpha said and everyone ducked on their food. They did not say anything or chatting. I wonder when will Sophie gonna joined us.

"You don't eat steak?"

"I'm vegetarian." I stated firmly.

All of the guys in the table burst to laugh and the Alpha chuckled a bit but he quickly masked it with a formal face. They all find me funny. That's it I am alien to them.

"What's wrong with that?"

"No. Nothing wrong with that. It's just unusual to us." He brushed me off and continued cutting his steak. The other guy also indulged themselves back to their meat. I feel like I want to run away from this table. The deer they eat was eating grass during their lifetime. I internally laugh. I hope none of them heard this. 

Carnivores these people.