viii

Okay so maybe you two weren't the best of friends.

"WILL YOU HURRY UP?!"

"OKAY IM SORRY BUT TO MY DEFENCE, I DIDNT GROW UP IN THE FOREST WITH WOLVES FOR PARENTS!"

You definitely had your ups and downs.

"Must you eat everything, Inosuke?"

"Stop whining or I'll take more of your food."

You two were most definitely not made for eachother.

"GET OFF OF ME."

"It's not my fault! You were cold!"

"SO YOU DECIDE TO JUST THROW YOURSELF ON TOP OF ME?! DO YOU WANT TO SUFFOCATE ME?!"

"Yes."

So you two were not yin and yang. He definitely had your heart racing though.

It was normal, right? To experience things like these? Especially since you're still young and had yet to meet another boy your age who was handsome and shared the same love for adventure that you did. It was almost as if he was made for you.

Almost.

He stared down at your dirtied face with shock swirling in his orbs, sweat and tears trickled down down your cheeks as you tried to stand from the position you were in. Alas, your knees were just basically ripped apart causing too much pain to shoot through you.

"Oi."
He called, you could've sworn you heard concern in his tone even.
"What's wrong?! Get up!"

Never mind, sympathy is not a word in his dictionary.

Once again you tried to stand, this time being successful as you stumbled to your feet.

Blood trickled down your knees, the skin having torn open after losing your footing and falling into a pile of roots.

"I'm fine."
You whimpered, limping up and towards him.
"Keep going."

The male immediately turned around to continue walking up the steep hill, every now and then looking back to make sure you were keeping up. He wasn't worrying about you, that's what you convinced yourself to believe. He was just checking his surroundings, or maybe just to make sure his human shield is still in a good enough condition to use if necessary.

Though, soon all of your doubts flew away when he begun climbing back down where you were. Bending down in front of you with his back faced towards you.

"Inosuke?"
You whispered, flinching slightly when he groaned.

"Get on before I change my mind. We won't get anywhere with you moving like a turtle."

Though his choice of words was harsh, the tone he used was soft, caring even. It was human nature to care about those around you after all. Especially after having spent around three days traveling with that person.

Carefully, you climbed onto his back. Gasping when he quickly stood and began climbing back up as if nothing were weighing him down.

"I'll help you with your knees when we get to a river, you think you can hold on until then?"
He asked suddenly, his eyes stuck to the ground as he made his way extra carefully, avoiding all dodgy steps as if scared to mess up and hurt you more.

A small sniff was heard from you as you wiped your teary cheeks, shaking your head.
"No that's fine, thank you."
You whispered, barely above a whisper but it made him absolutely soft.

It's not like he'll admit it but he rather enjoyed having you depend on him. The way you hugged his neck carefully as to not suffocate him, the way you rested your head on his shoulder, the way your body heat warmed up his body. He enjoyed it oddly enough.

He wanted to protect you. He didn't know why, he just did. You were like a puppy while he was a wolf.

The walk didn't take long, soon having arrived at a small stream just at the top of the hill.

Carefully, he sat you down on a nearby rock. Making sure you were good before letting go off your legs and heading to the cool water. Ripping off a bit of his pants he dipped the cloth into the river, soaking the material before walking back to you.

You watched with wide eyes as he softly dabbed the piece onto your scrape, wiping off the blood and blowing on it once in a while.

Unconsciously, your hand went up to run through his hair. The male flinching at first before warming up to the actions as he continued to work on cleaning your knees.

"You gotta be more careful."
He grumbled quietly, unwrapping the cloth that was wrapped around his arms before wrapping it around your knees, making sure it was secure enough as to not fall off before looking up at you who continued to play with his oddly soft hair.

Your hand stopped It's movements, creeping down to cup his cheeks which he almost immediately responded by standing up and leaning towards you. His arms laid on the rock next to your legs, his face dangerously close to your own as your breaths ran down each others faces.

You wanted to lean in, it looked like he wanted too, but he pulled away before anything could happen. Running a hand through his hair as he looked away.

"We need to keep moving."
He mumbled, losing all emotion once more as he avoided eye contact.
"Can you walk?"

Bashfully, you nodded your head before standing to your feet. Ignoring the pain that continued to sting your knees.

"Good."
He nodded, turning his back to you before continuing the journey. Thoughts and what ifs running through both of your heads.