ix

"The plan is to attack from behind, this beast is far more powerful than you think."
Inosuke explained, his green eyes casted in the direction of where the supposed king lays.

"Right, and then we kill?"
You asked earning a nod from him.
"And then what?"

The male turned back to raise a brow at you, his green eyes narrowing down.
"What do you mean 'and then what?'. We go back home, end of story."
He grumbled.

Your eyes glossed over with a sort of sadness, having to separate with the male being something that you oddly enough didn't want to do. The past week or so had you and the king of beasts growing closer and you wanted to keep it that way. Alas, he was not one of you, he was a man of the forest and there was nothing you could do about that.

"Very well."
You nodded.
"Let's go kill this bitch."

"Lady Eboshi, we are ready to attack."
A young man spoke, the dark haired woman instantly lifting her head with a sly smile on her face.

"Great, prepare everyone to leave in the next hour. We'll be paying the king of demons a little visit."

The man nodded, running out of her hut to go advice the army of what will be happening.

Lady Eboshi stared at the ground, a smirk playing on her lips.
"We'll see you soon, Inosuke, y/n."

"Oi, stay close, humans aren't allowed in this part of the forest."
Inosuke whispered, grabbing your arm and pulling you close to him.
"This is where gods and kings reside."

You stared wide eyed at the male, his green eyes stuck on the path in front of you both while also being wary of his surroundings.

Everything was calm.

That is until a rattle-like noise caught your attention.

Pulling your bow and arrow out, you pointed it towards a root of a tree where a small, humanoid creature stood. It's body was pure white and it had a big oval head, with three holes as eyes and mouth, that would tip to the side before snapping straight again and make the rattling sound.

"Wait!"
Inosuke called out, putting an arm in front of your arrow as you instantly calmed down.
"They're not harmful, they're lost souls. Almost like children."

Your wide eyes traveled from him back to the creature that begun running away, it's little arms moving weirdly before standing next to two other of its kind.

"What..."

"Believe me, they're only here to symbolise that the god of the forest is alive and well."
He smiled, pulling you along some more.

"God of the forest?"
You asked softly as he nodded, back to his serious expression.

"The god of the forest is the creature that keeps this and all other forest's around, safe and healthy. He is above all other gods and kings, if you see him do not attack."
He explained.

"What does he look like? I won't know not to attack if I don't know who he is."

Inosuke side glanced you.
"Oh, you'll know."
He nodded as you raised a brow.

Before you could even question him, he had grabbed your arm and pulled you down behind some bushes forcefully. His arm wrapped around you to keep you close and the other covered your mouth as you stared wide eyed at the creature that appeared.

A large boar. Humongous, bigger than inosuke's family. It walked intimidatingly and threateningly, each step causing the ground below you to shake as you pressed your body close to inosuke's out of fear. But the size isn't what had you scared, it was the thousands of holes with the infected monster worms crawling out of it. Soon enough, that boar would become a monster. Rampaging through the forest, killing any human it will come across.

"Shhh."
He whispered, holding you tighter while trying to pull you both away from the beast.

Once you were both at a suitable distance away from it, you broke into a sprint. The male leading the way around the beast and towards the location of the king.

But then, a shotgun sounded out.

You both stopped running, turning to look at each other before turning back to the beast that now laid dead on the ground. A hole in its eye.

"No..."
You gasped, whipping your head around in search of that wretched army.

"We need to run."
Inosuke whispered, grabbing tightly onto your hand and running off.

Your footsteps were loud with the crunching leaves and sticks below you, your breaths hollow and messy as you ran through.

"If they find us then we're as good as dead."
You heard Inosuke mutter, his grip on your hand tightening.
"Can't let that happen. Can't let that happen."

You watched the male with wide eyes as he panicked, his breathing becoming quicker and uneven.

Squeezing his hand you gave a smile when he turned to you.

"Don't panic, I'm here and I won't let anything happen to you."
You panted.
"I've got your back king of the beasts."

Turning back forwards he shook his head.

"It's not me I'm worried about."
He grumbled.

"Huh?"

"As long as I get you out of here safe and sound then I'll be fine."