Chapter 2

"You and me against the world, M'lady." The words kept echoing around Marinette's mind.

"We are an awesome team," she admitted to herself.

"A lot of fans think of you as a couple of superheroes but also, and I quote, 'a couple,'" the flashback brought her back to the television interview.

"We may make an awesome team, but it's too dangerous to date each other. Hawkmoth could use that against us," she silently reasoned.

Her mind brought her back to when Miraculer stole their powers. When he was injured by her cataclysm, he still used all his strength to fight . . . for her. "He truly does love me, and what have I done to him? Nothing but reject him."

"You're more than a partner, Chat Noir. You're my friend, and I would never want to lie to a friend."

"But why do you think it would be lying?"

"Because . . . there's this boy . . ."

"I hope I'm not really the cause of his nightmares," she thought, regret beginning to register in her mind.

"Chat Noir! Bad Kitty! I'll never love you! I've always wanted to get rid of you!" Nightmare Ladybug shouted in her flashback.

. . .

"Chat Noir . . . you don't really think I'm as evil as your nightmare, do you?" she asked.

"Course I don't. You're the lady of my dreams," he bowed, blew her a kiss, and leapt away.

He seemed to brush it off back then, but she was pretty sure that she was the cause of his nightmares. "I can't imagine how much pain and heartbreak I've caused him by rejecting him so many times," she thought. "How many times has he been there for me?" she asked herself.

"They found Master Fu and the miracle box. It's a catastrophe, and I just happen to be an expert in cat things," he said with a smile as the flashback played in her mind.

"It's—it's my fault. I didn't transform back before I went to find him."

"What?" he asked.

"I was . . . confused. I'm sorry, I'm such a failure," she said, holding her head in her hands.

"Hey, the important thing is to save Master Fu," he started, "before the sentimonster destroys his shield, and we'll need a focused Ladybug for that," he finished. "Forget what happened, ok?" he said, placing his hands on her shoulders and smiling.

"Thanks, you're always here for me," she said hugging him close.

He smiled and hugged her back. "Always, Little Bug."