Chapter 7

Chat Noir hummed his mother's tune as he prepared for that evening. "Little Kitty on a roof, all alone without his lady," he would add in the first line occasionally. But this time, he wasn't alone on this rooftop. His first "lady" had mysteriously disappeared a year ago, leaving only his father and Nathalie to parent him. His other lady had repeatedly rejected him when he tried to confess his feelings, saying that there was another boy. It seemed to have hurt her every time she had to deny him, and he hated hurting her.

But this time was different. His "lady" was his princess, and she would be there for him, just like he would be there for her.

Flashbacks threatened to overtake him as his heart, scarred from continued rejection and heartache over his last "lady," tried to show him that this time would be no different than the last.

"Chat Noir!" she called in a hazy memory. "I can't accept this rose from you," she said in his mind, bringing back the daggers that had stabbed his heart that day. "I told you already. I'm in love with someone else," she told him as she turned around and leaned on the rooftop railing.

Chat Noir shook his head. He would not let his past get to him. This time was really different. This kitty wasn't alone on this roof anymore.

Well, a tower, to be more precise.

He continued humming as he finished the preparations for his rooftop evening with Marinette.

. . .

Marinette got ready for her evening with Chat Noir. She had decided to not overdo it, so she pulled out her pink flowing dress that she'd made when she had fantasized dancing with Adrien months ago.

But this time was different.

No longer was she swooning over Adrien. This time, she had a masked gentleman that she was going out with—her kitty.

She decided to sew on an extra little detail to really make tonight different. She grabbed her green and black thread spools and went to work on the dress.

Finally, after two mishaps with the needle from her preoccupation with the dress's addition, she had finished her masterpiece. It looked spectacular. She was sure her kitty would love it.

She changed into the dress and pulled her other frilly flats on her feet.

She pulled her hair scrunchies off of her pigtails without a second thought. With Chat Noir, she felt free, and she wanted her hair to show it. She grabbed her curling iron and started curling her hair. When she'd finished, her dark curls twirled until her shoulders, meeting with her dress straps and her bare neck.

She dug inside her jewelry box until she found the necklace she was looking for. It was one from a set she'd made for her fashion website. The necklace pair were to commemorate the city's two heroes, and this one had a twinkling cat pendant that seemed to wink at her in the light, just like Chat had winked at her last night. She giggled at the remembrance of that sly kitty.

Finally, she was ready for an enchanting evening with Chat Noir.

. . .

Chat Noir had finished preparing the scene for tonight. He backed away to get a full glimpse of the scene, leaping onto the railing behind him.

It was perfect.

He leapt across the city right as the sun began to approach the horizon. He couldn't wait to see what his princess thought.

Right as he rounded the corner to Marinette's house, he caught a glimpse of her in her window. He could only see the her back because her ladder blocked his vision, but he was taken aback.

Chat Noir ducked behind a rooftop chimney, hand to his chest in an attempt to calm himself. Boy, if he hadn't fallen for her before, he sure had now. He couldn't even see her face, but wow, was she enchanting.

He sat down and leaned against the chimney, still trying to comprehend how he had been so lucky for a girl like Marinette to say yes to a date with him.

He heard her open her balcony trapdoor and climb out. He sat there a moment, gathering himself. It was still so unbelievable how lucky he was.

He came from behind the chimney and leapt onto her balcony. "Enchanting to see you this evening," he bowed, kissing her hand as she giggled her sweet sound of laughter. He looked up and admired her beauty.

He truly considered himself unworthy of a lady as enchanting as she.

"My chivalrous gentleman," she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him to his feet with a small twinkle in her eye. Chat Noir knew she knew how bewitching she was to him, and she was going to make him fall crazier in love with her.

He scooped her into his arms. "We should go before anyone sees us, just to be safe," he whispered. "Close your eyes and hold on tight," he said with a sly smile.

She giggled and did as he said, leaning her head on his chest.

He leapt across town to the place he had prepared for their evening.

. . .

When he landed at their destination, he set her down and whispered, "we're here. You can open your eyes."
When she opened her eyes and examined her new surroundings, she gasped at the scene he had prepared for her. They were at the top of the Eiffel Tower. There were light red candles along the railing, all the way around the rectangular deck. There were rose petals sprinkled everywhere, and right where they were standing, there were two deep red mats, with a picnic basket between.

"Wow, Chat! This is amazing!" she exclaimed.

"I hope you're hungry," he said with a wink and a sly grin. He sat down on one of the mats and motioned for her to join him on the mat across from him. She took his gesture and sat down, her dress flowing easily over her crossed legs. He pulled out petite red heart-shaped sandwiches with a design of Marinette's signature flower and small heart-shaped soufflés with little cat ears cut on the top.

Marinette gasped, before making way to a giggle. "Where did you get these?" she asked, still amazed at the cute display of food before her.

"I hope you don't mind," he began with a giggle, scratching his neck. "But I special ordered them from your parents seeing as there's no better bakery in all of Paris. Don't worry, though. I didn't tell them what they were for, for ours and their safety," he said. "I think they thought they were for Ladybug," he whispered, giggling and winking at her.

"I love them," Marinette said.

They ate for a moment, Chat Noir still taking in how bewitching she was. He spilled soufflé on his cheek, not paying attention. She giggled, reaching out and wiping away the mess with her thumb.

He laughed, leaning into her touch. When she returned to her seat, he almost whimpered from the loss of her touch. He grabbed another soufflé and missed his mouth, spilling the entire bite-size piece on his cheek, donning a sly kitty grin.

Marinette grabbed a napkin from atop the picnic basket and grabbed his chin, muttering "I'll fix you," with a knowing grin.

That was when Chat decided to accidentally fall backwards, making Marinette fall on top of him.

She lay there on his chest for a moment, drinking in the feeling of love and protection he gave her. Then she quickly swiped at his cheek, cleaning the "accidental" soufflé mess. She got up and returned to her spot with a triumphant air and a sly grin of her own.

He got back to his sitting position, muttering "fine, you win," with a not-so-concealed grin.

"And for dessert," he began, pulling another plate of baked goodies from the basket. "Tada!" There was an assortment of chocolate pink and green macarons with a design of both Marinette's flower and a cat face, whiskers and all.

"Wow! They're beautiful!" she remarked. "And I adore the little kittens," she said, her lips curling into a sky grin.

"I thought you would," he said, grinning from ear to ear. She reached for one and bit into it, her expression turning into one of delicious ecstasy. "The best in Paris for sure," she remarked with mouthful of macaron. "I'll have to teach you my parent's recipe one day," she said with a wink, earning a pleased laugh from Chat Noir.