Chapter 14

Faith POV: 

My makeup team cakes on lipstick and bronzer, making me look an entirely different shade. Scott hangs up a long black dress on a hook behind the door, as I watch it carefully. They blow out my hair, before carefully piecing it together so it looks more natural. It takes an astounding amount of work just to look "natural" in the entertainment business. Tonight is the first night I'll be in the same room as Tim with Scott by my side in months.

"You remember the lyrics?" He asks, as I smile, nodding confidently. I start to warm up, feeling my nerves hit me. I tap my foot nervously, before glancing toward the clock. The makeup team finishes the work, as I slip on the dress. Scott zips me up before I turn toward him.

"I'm going to go say hi to Martina." I lie, watching him nod, getting lost in his phone once more. I walk through the halls, spotting him talking to a few of his band mates in a suit. God, he looks good. He lays his eyes on me, cracking a large smile. 

"Wow." He says as I walk up, trying my hardest to not smile like a fool. "I'll catch up with you guys in a bit." He says to his bandmates, before walking toward me. "You look amazing." He releases, as I hold out my hands, showing off the gown. He looks at me from head to toe before seeming to have a gleam in his eye. 

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something." I say, walking over toward his dressing room. He shuts the door behind us, before staggering toward me, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing me. "I want you to come on stage with me tonight." I let out, as he cocks his head. "I'm singing a song that's a solo on my album, but I think it would be a perfect duet." I try to explain as he grins. 

"Alright." He agrees without much convincing. I dig out a sheet of lyrics from my clutch, keeping one on me in case I get flustered and forget the words before performing. I hand it to him, before watching him read over it. "Let's Make Love." He reads aloud, before looking over toward me. 

"I was thinking you could take the second verse, and we could harmonize the final part." I say, pointing to the lines on the page. He nods, before I notice that his eyes are on me, not the lyrics. "I also thought it'd be dramatic if you were offstage during my portion, and then come on and step into the spotlight once you start singing. That'd be a moment, you know?" I try to describe, as he smiles. "Do you feel comfortable with the lyrics, or..." I say, as he nods again. 

"I love this song, actually." He admits, as I fight a smile once more. "How long until you go on?" He questions, as I glance toward the clock. 

"Fifteen minutes." I say, as he looks over the lyrics, taking on the challenge. 

I make my way toward the producer, informing them of the change. They're frantic, but they don't dare tell me no. I guess that's one sign that you've made it in this business. They begin to mic me up as I wait anxiously for Tim to appear. I watch the clock, feeling my chest pound the closer we get to the performance. 

"Sixty seconds." A stagehand says to me, as I look around for him once more. I grab onto my microphone, admitting the fact that something must've come up where he's not going to perform. I accept it, before starting onto stage. I stand in the center of the dark stage, watching a teleprompter count us in from commercial. Dolly Parton stands on another stage in the crowd, reading a script. 

"This next song is from a dear friend of mine, and ain't she just a doll y'all? Faith Hill!" She announces, her twang so thick it's hard not to smile. The piano plays as a spotlight slowly illuminates me. 

"Baby I've been drifting away... dreaming all day... of holding you, touching you. The only thing I want to do is be with you... as close to you as I can be..." I sing, focusing on every little word as I look out at the crowd. I remember writing this song back when Tim and I were together.