Phantom's Flaming Fury

* Leo *

        I was at the edge of the strawberry fields, testing out some new stuff when what looked like two mortals came out of the woods. One of them, the younger one that looked like he was about college-aged, grabbed the other, yellow-jacketed guy's arm and said something to him. I was pretty sure they were mortals who had somehow wandered in, but I was still a little nervous. They could have been monsters or some weird minor gods in disguise too.
         "Hey!" I called out to them, hoping that I wasn't smoking in my nervousness. They had a brief, hushed conversation before approaching me.
         "Uh, hey, we're kind of lost," the older one said. "Can you point us in the right direction?"
         "Yeah, yeah, for sure," I replied, trying to remain chill. "I'll just take you back through the woods the quickest way."
         I walked efficiently over to them and gestured for them to follow me, about to head into the woods. I was ready to get them out of there as fast as possible. Then some new kid walked up from the other direction and started rambling. He said something about smelling me, and smoke, and burning buildings, and hoods, and masks??? At this point, I was very confused and jittery. Fortunately, Jason and Nico walked up behind the kid just then. He stopped talking and sort of ducked his head in embarrassment.
         "Oh, guys, you're here, cool! I was just showing these guys the way out of the woods! They're a bit turned around," I said, starting to ramble too. Jason glanced at them and back at me. Mortals? he mouthed. I gave him a brief shrug. The new, blond kid had looked back up and was staring at the strangers, who were in turn, giving him somewhat intense looks.
         "Maybe I could show them the way. . . ?" he suggested, giving Jason a meaningful look. Jason hesitated but nodded and gestured for the kid to go.
         The three people who were strangers to me walked toward the woods together, not speaking. I looked back at Jason and Nico.
         "Who was that? Are you sure he should be leading them out? Does he even know where to go?" I started firing off questions. Jason held up a hand for me to stop.
         "He's my cousin, and I trust him."
         "Cousin like the immortal side of the family or the mortal?" I asked, going over to them. Jason sighed and I noticed that he seemed tired.
         "Mortal side. As in there's no relation to any god. But he's not exactly mortal. . ." He trailed off. "You might want to have a seat for this one."
        My stomach churned uneasily. I could tell something was weighing on Jason's mind. I thought maybe it had to do him and Piper taking a break, but something told me there was more to it.

* Ben *

         We walked in silence until we were out of earshot and out of sight. Once we were, I slowed down and started to find the words to explain everything that had changed for me. I was cut off when Hoodie shoved me hard into a tree with his arm across my throat. Jack seemed surprised by this. It was weird seeing the surprise in his very human-looking eyes.
         "What the hell?" I croaked out.
         "Where have you been?" Hoodie demanded.
         "Why do you care?" I replied, kicking him hard in the shin. He let go but didn't back up. Jack glanced between us.
         Hoodie said nothing for a moment. "I don't. But someone does. I couldn't blame anyone for not trusting you when left to your own devices."
         "Who's looking for me?" I asked. Yet another question. Hoodie doesn't say anything in response.
         "Let's leave," Jack sighed in a low voice. Neither I or Hoodie moved for several seconds. "Come one," Jack said, still more firmly. We relented and Hoodie shuffled back to let me pass.
         Suddenly, I felt a flame of anger flicker in my chest. I felt fed up and pissed off with the way every one of us "lived" and behaved. Some were alright, but most of them (myself included in the past) were entitled, vindictive, vile, sadistic, sick, or all of the above. Suddenly, I was damn furious with them, mucking about like they owned the earth, not a whisper of caring in their hearts.
         "You know what?" I said, beginning slowly, my muscles tensing in anger. They both looked at each other, then back at me, sensing for the first time that something had changed. "I'm not going back with you. Not ever. I don't care who you douchenozzles send after me, there is nothing you can do that will bring me back."
         Jack seemed taken aback; mild curiosity showed on his face, and Hoodie had a rather emotionless but malicious expression.
         "Unexpected, but we have our orders," Jack said mildly. "What do you want us to do? We can't leave you here." He shrugged, his eyes flickering into darkness briefly. Hoodie put a hand on Jack's shoulder, looking me in the eye.
         "We'll be back. This is. . . interesting," he said in a soft, dangerous voice. Hoodie pulled his hood from his pocket and slid it on. He gestured for Jack to follow him before taking off. With one last glance at me, Jack sprinted after Hoodie, his skin gaining back its palor, and his eyes returning to their empty, tar-like state.
         For the first time, I felt concerned for those around me. Their lives had become precious, and I might have brought danger to their door.

*No real fire was started in the making of this chapter*