Chapter 17: One Last Favor

Begin!

~Beatrice's POV

Time had passed since Karrie told me about Ernest, and in turn I told her about Gregor. Both our family names would be tainted by these men but we had to stay strong. We had to ensure others that we were not like them. But other than that, things have been running smoothly. Sammie had her baby a couple months ago and we had both gotten to be there for her. Beautiful little girl, looks just like her mom; wonder if she'll inherit the eyesight.

Bertie and I were set and ready for the ball this weekend. I was hopeful that this would be a good night at first but after hearing about Ernest turning to the wrong side I was suddenly feeling an odd sense of foreboding. A very similar sense to the one I felt that night at the opera house months ago. I think Bertie could tell I was on edge. I had even bought a costume with real working dragonfly wings just in case I needed to get away quickly. (Don't ask where I found it.)

"Bea, you know, we don't have to go to the party."

"I know that, but what if Olaf knows I'm going? What if he's planned for me to be there? And if I'm not there he could take it out on someone else at the party? The only family that isn't attending is the Widdershins cause Sammie has Fiona to care for now."

Bertie ran a hand through his untidy hair thinking about this possibility. I can't help thinking he's always cute when he does that.

"If you're really sure something could go down, call Lemony. He said he'd be willing to help again if you needed it."

I perked up instantly, "Of course! And since it's a masked ball Lemony can come in disguise and he won't get hurt." I hugged him tight. "It's perfect!"

Bertie chuckled. "I'm happy to help. Maybe I can meet him this time? Might be nice since he's willing to help you with so many dangers."

"I'll see to it." I said, letting go of him and going over to my phone.

I pulled out the card Lemony had given me and dialed the number, hoping that someone would answer fast. Unfortunately, the answer I got was from a male voice I didn't recognize.

"Hello?"

"Uh, hi, I was trying to reach a Moxie Mallahan through this number," I said politely. "I'm an associate of her boyfriend and I need to talk to her."

"I'm her father," He replied, "Moxie's been out with Lemony all day, they're helping their friends out with some things. I don't know when she'll be home, but I'll tell her you called, miss...?"

"Beatrice Anwhistle, sir, and thank you for being understanding."

I hung up, "Well looks like we won't get the message to them as fast as we wanted."

Bertie looked thoughtful again. "Do you remember how to get to Stain'd By The Sea?"

"Train is the fastest method I'm told, but I don't know if it's heading out soon. Why?"

"Simple we go find them ourselves and ask, I'll come with you so you're not traveling alone this time."

"That's kind of you Bertie but we could still wait for them to call back."

"Bea," He put his hands on my shoulders, gently, and looked right at me with his handsome blue eyes. "Do you really believe that your life will be in danger at the ball?"

"...Yes, and I don't know what to expect, and it scares me."

"Then seeking them out is worth it for that alone. And I'll be right there to watch your back the whole way."