Chapter 19: Running Away

Begin!

~Lemony's POV

I ran back into the party and quickly found Moxie so I could tell her what happened. I still saw no sign of Bertrand. I didn't like it. Beatrice was safe, but I was supposed to ensure both their safeties... She would surely kill me if something had happened.

"Moxie, may I talk to you alone for a moment?"

Moxie nodded and followed me away from the crowd. I explained what happened and asked her if she had seen Bertrand since then.

"I noticed him say something to Quinten and Karrie when you went outside," She replied softly, "It didn't last longer than a single moment and then he left the party. If Bea escaped then she must have asked him to meet her somewhere. Of course they're worried too I'm sure, but everything needs to look normal to not incite panic."

I thought back to my conversation with Bertrand before we came here tonight. Bertrand Baudelaire was a good and trustworthy man, he would look after her; I was sure of it. I then felt a cool hand on my cheek and saw Moxie's beautiful grey eyes staring into my own.

"Lemony, they made it out. They'll be ok. You can trust them, right?"

I contemplated my answer. She was right. Olaf had not accomplished his goal tonight. He did not kill Beatrice. And he didn't even try to kill me; though I'm sure an attempt could come in the future, not that he knows where I live now...

"Yes I- you're right. I can let them be. I did my part, now I just hope that she makes it out ok."

"That's the spirit, honey. Now." Moxie went to grab my arm. "Can I spend more time with your family while we're here tonight? I seem to recall I might be joining them in the future."

We spent the rest of the evening doing just that. Kit and Jacques loved Moxie and were happy to see that I had found someone new. My worries for my friend lingered in the back of my mind but I had to reassure myself that Beatrice would be fine on her own for however long she needed.

"No. She's not on her own. She has Bertrand."

~Bertrand's POV

I unlocked the door to Bea's flat and looked around. There was no sign that anyone was here except for Bea's pet bats. The three of them gazed curiously at me from their cage as I grabbed the bag I had placed under the couch before tonight. We had to be prepared for this. We were going away together. Bea had already arranged to take one of her brother Ike's boats. We had no plan for where we were going as long as it was away from Olaf and Esmé. Though there had been no word of her whereabouts since that night at the opera. We were sure she would be found by one of our villains eventually.

I carried the bag into the bathroom and changed out of my suit into some more comfortable clothes, to not rouse suspicion when we leave. I had only a moment to say goodbye to Q and Karrie before running out of the party. It was awful leaving my best friend behind, but he would cover our backs for us this way; and Karrie wouldn't dare let Olaf near Bea for any reason now. They had to stay on the home-front. It was safer for everyone that way. Once I changed I brought my bag back into the living room, set it down on the floor next to me, sat down on the couch, and began to wait.

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Waiting felt like forever. Occasionally, I'd look at my watch and find only a few minutes had passed. I got here at 8:30, Bea wouldn't be here for another 3 and a half hours. But I couldn't leave. I wouldn't leave. I had to wait and my nerves about tonight wouldn't let me think of anything else.

Beatrice Faye Anwhistle, the most wonderful woman on earth, told me to wait for her. So waiting is what I will do.

After an hour, I heard the bats squeak at me. They were understandably curious about my presence here. I ignored them at first and then one one of them tried to open the cage door. I sighed and got up.

"Hey," I said, knowing they couldn't understand me, "Don't do that. You'll hurt yourself."

I stopped next to the table with their cage on it and saw a small note concealed halfway under it. I pulled it out and read, "9:30, let the girls spread their wings."

Oh, they were supposed to be let out. I guess they knew the schedule better than I would. I unlatched the cage and the trio of bats eagerly flew out to freedom. I smiled at sat back down with my stuff as I watched them flutter around the apartment. The sound was rather nice actually. It reminded me that I wasn't truly alone as long as I had something with me that reminded me of Bea.

I thought briefly of my private conversation with Lemony. He wanted me to look after her. To treat her like a queen. To never let her down no matter what. And I assured him I would do exactly that. I loved her. If I was going to be with her I would do all those things and more, without question.

And so I waited. And waited. The girls kept me company the whole time. I was glad they were fond of me now. After what felt like a lifetime of waiting I finally heard my watch ding at midnight.

Knock knock

And right on schedule, there was a knock on the window. I eagerly opened it to find Beatrice, looking very cold but happy, and using some sort of climbing device to latch onto the window. She had ditched her dragonfly wings, and part of her lovely dress was torn to allow more freedom of movement. I quickly helped her inside and gave her a warm hug. Traveling through the Mortmain Mountains without a coat is a dangerous idea after all.

"I told you I'd be here on time," She said, smiling at me.

"And I am so happy to see you're ok," I replied, "Now please go put on some warm clothes before you freeze."

She agreed and left the room. She came back minutes later wearing casual clothes and carrying a bag of her own. Just like me, she had planned ahead.

"Do you have everything you need," I asked.

"I do," She replied, "Ike and Josephine will meet us at the pier to get the boat. Do you have everything too?"

"I double checked to make sure. Is there anything else we need to do before we go?"

"Just one thing..." Bea replied.

I watched as she whistled her bats over to her. The three landed on her arm, and she patted each of their furry heads affectionately.

"Girls, momma's not going to be home for a while. We don't know how long, but she's gotta go and she can't burden anyone to take care of you while she's gone. But you don't have to worry, I know you can fend for yourselves when you go out hunting. Just this time, you don't come back ok," She commanded gently to them as if they could understand her.

The little creatures squeaked in disappointed understanding, and Bea proceeded to let them out the window into the night.

"There, now we can go."

And just like that we had our bags, we locked the door behind us, and we left the headquarters that night to go on with the next phase of our lives, not knowing when we would return. And that was ok because we had each other.

~End of Chapter!