Chapter 18: The Masquerade Ball

Begin!

~Bertrand's POV

Tonight was the night. Lemony's plan was in place, he and Moxie were at headquarters and ready to go. Er, well we were waiting on the girls actually. They were almost done getting ready. Even with the knowledge that Lemony was with another woman, it still felt a bit awkward standing next to him at the moment. Lemony was an enigma, I didn't know what to make of him, aside from his history with Bea. I also thought it was a little weird that Lemony's mask for the ball was the Tragedy half of the iconic theatre "Comedy and Tragedy" duo. The fact that he would choose such dour attire puzzled me.

"Bertrand?"

I blinked and snapped out of my thoughts, "Yeah?"

"I want to talk with you about something. Can we step out into the hall for a moment?"

"Uh, sure," I said casually. He smiled and led me outside for whatever it was he wanted to say.

"Might be something about our plan tonight."

~Beatrice's POV

I finished doing my make-up, put on my mask, and admired myself in the mirror. My silver dragonfly costume was perfect and I was sure that Bertrand would love it. I didn't know what might happen, but I knew that I would try to have a good time regardless.

"Well how do I look?"

I turned and saw Moxie smiling at me and wanting my opinion on her outfit. It was gorgeous too. A beautiful dark dress that complimented her blonde hair nicely, and wasn't too form fitting. And a mask that looked vaguely like a seahorse of some kind, though I couldn't place what it actually was, and I didn't feel it necessary to ask. She looked beautiful, I'm sure Lemony will love it. And again she wore her news reporter hat.

"You look great, but shouldn't you lose the hat?"

"No."

"Um, ok? ...Why?"

"Because I always wear it," Moxie replied simply, adjusting her hat. "If I have to take it off, I will, but if I don't, then it stays." I shrugged and didn't ask again.

"You think we kept the boys waiting long enough," She asked.

I laughed, "Probably. Come on, you'll want to meet some of our friends too."

We went out into the living room of my flat and found the boys waiting patiently for us. Of all the things that could go wrong tonight it was nice to see that them liking our appearances wasn't one of them. Lemony's smile at Moxie completely contradicted his Tragedy themed mask, and Bertrand couldn't stop staring at me. We were planning to meet with Quinten and Karrie at the party.

"Ready to go," Bertie asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be. Everyone remembers the plan, right?"

They all nodded in confirmation and we headed out the door for a night I wouldn't soon forget.

~...

"Karrie this is Lemony's girlfriend, Moxie. Moxie this is my friend Karen and her boyfriend Quinten." We were all sitting at a table together at a table talking for part of the night.

"Nice to meet you. Is the headquarters usually this fancy," Moxie asked.

"Usually yes," Karrie replied.

While the others talked I glanced around the room at everyone else. I noticed Larry working the bar and Jacqueline was keeping him company by sitting there; I'm aware that they wanted an excuse to flirt. They were always head over heels for each other. Gustav was standing away from them and talking to some female volunteers. I saw Ike and Josephine dancing crazily together. Monty was chatting with fellow V.F.D. scientists. Eventually, Jacques came by our table because Lemony wanted Moxie to meet his brother. Jacques had no date to the event, but he definitely had attention from many admirers. Though some years later he might have found the perfect woman outside V.F.D.