CHAPTER 34: At the End of the Rainbow

BRANDON

I have been successfully avoiding Elle and Bob for a week but my luck ran out today. Bob didn't waste time chasing me after I finish my lunch. There was still half an hour to spare before classes resume so he takes me outside for a quick talk.

To the school, knowing that I am now an openly gay dude was a shock but wasn't really much big of a deal. I know I don't have any excuse to miss school (heck, even my daily practices), but I went to a really dark place that drowned me and I had a hard time getting back up, pushing myself to get any work done...

My anxiety spiked up; I was afraid of what my other friends will say. (Especially Bob—considering that he's super religious. I mean, there could be religious people who still support people like me...But will he be accepting and supportive as well?) But thanks to the support of my family now, they helped me cope healthier.

Back under the roof of our parents, Bryan and I were back being ourselves. Him ranting about everything he has to pin his eyes on, while I just listen as I do my art or bake in the kitchen. Since he finally finished his production, he can now focus back on having gains with me on the gym and have the free time to binge-read biographies of late presidents and leaders in the world. I can never get him reading those boring books.

Dad became busier with his company since he's now the CEO of VRC, and having that chair means he gets control of his time. He plans his routines better, able to balance his work and family life. Mom finally gets another branch of the twin Bean open in Maryland and Philadelphia and, boy, were Mom's parties are wicked!

These just happened in a week but it felt like a month has already passed, in a good way. I'm just happy I can celebrate their wins together as they have celebrated me.

But it's hard to smile right now when Bob's face was unreadable. I prepared myself for some scolding and a lot of explaining to do, but as soon as we were alone in the field, Bob's quiet for a long time.

"So..." I trailed, stuffing my hands into my pockets. "Wassup, man?"

I can't tell if he's sneering or disappointed. "Why are you ignoring me, you gringo?"

"I'm not—"

"See, you can't even look at me in the eye!"

My eyes snap to his. And he was right; seeing his tensed brown eyes again felt nostalgic than anything else.

"Amigo." His hard gaze softened back to his famous teddy-bear button eyes. "Whatever you are thinking is stupid."

"How do you even know what I'm thinking?"

"I don't. But Elle can tell—and she helped me understood."

Dang it. I forgot Elle wants to be a Psych major, of course she would read me!

"You're worried that I'm going to be uncomfortable and treat you differently, or not going to accept and still love you as my brother just because you came out. Is that right?"

Even if I don't answer it, we know the truth.

"Walk with me," he requests and I follow him. "Do you remember the story in the book of John, about the woman who was caught in the act of adultery and was ready to be stoned by the people?"

When I didn't respond, he continued. "That's my favorite Bible story aside from The Prodigal Son. The scribes and the Pharisees wanted to test Jesus so they can have something against him. But Jesus said, 'Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.' And then they left, one by one. That same goes for me too, amigo."