CHAPTER 35: Payback is a Bad Bitch

CHAPTER 35: Payback is a Bad Bitch

BRANDON

I look up from my phone when I see her approaching. She never responded to my messages but here she is. And I'm so glad my effort to come wasn't a waste.

I've texted Amanda if we can meet up at a local café near where her relatives resides. She deserves an apology from me before she leaves for Texas for good after our graduation.

I am very aware of my sins and shortcomings being her boyfriend so I made sure to dress nice for her. Bryan helped me with styling up my wardrobe. He made sure to make it match my personality, which is mostly minimalistic and comfortable, but can also remind Amanda of Texas.

"Maybe she'll be friendlier after she sees you somehow resemble a modern cowboy," Bryan said when he eyed me in this new fashion: Plain white shirt overtopped with a brown-yellow-and-red patterned flannel, ripped faded jeans, and brown boat shoes to match a chill look.

I put my phone in my pocket and stood up taller. Should I kiss her on the cheek? Should I hug her? Pat her on the back? Shake hands? Can I even touch her? Maybe just awkwardly waving will do. Yeah, just do that.

Amanda looks definitely pissed when she saw me, as though I woke her from her nightmare just to wake up to another one.

"Hey," I greet with a bashful smile, stepping closer. "Thanks for meeting up with me. Do you wanna, um, go inside and have a dri—"

Her sun kissed hand greets my cheek. Good thing the coffee house doesn't have much customers at this hour or she's going to start drama bigger than this.

"That is for being a liar, a loser, a cheater, and a piece of shit!"

My startled expression went back to face her before she fumes, "And this"—she slaps me again, but on the other cheek—"is for everything else."

A lump formed in my throat and there was a short pause that followed.

"Alright," I exhaled, nodding. "I guess I deserved that."

"You deserve more than that, Savage! You deserve to rot in hell!"

My lips formed a thin line as she raised a finger at me.

"I came here to tell you one thing and one thing only." She sniffs and licks her lips. "I hate you for makin' me feel special when everybody treats me like I don't belong in that fuckin' school. I don't deserve all this shit you put me through! I treated you like a king but all you did was treat me like a sidepiece?! Jesus fucking Christ, Brandon! I was your girlfriend and you were supposed to be my boyfriend but instead you chose to be a faggot!"

She pants, her face reddish and sweaty. There wasn't any physical contact but that sting more than her slaps combined.

"So... yeah." Amanda waves her hand dismissively. "I hope you and your homofriend get hit by a truck or somethin'..."

Shit. I really hurt her that bad, huh. "Amanda, I know you're just saying this because you're angry. I understand..." I take a step forward and she raises her hand in annoyance as if screaming don't touch me!

"Oh, you understand? You know why I'm mad? Then you should know that I've been receivin' death threats and online sabotages from, not only your lousy football team, but also the whole fuckin' school, Brandon!"

"I told everyone to stop the online harassment, okay?" I said calmly, my hands up to encourage her to do the same. "No one should go through the pain of feeling guiltier about themselves than they already feel. Because trust me I do know. I do understand, Amanda. And it almost cost me my life. Darren almost killed himself because of what you did—"