Chapter 18: Fight to the Death

This chapter might be a little fast pacd, simply because I am running out of time for Watty Awards! :( I'll make sure to go back and add more after! :D

 Confusion is excellent for this chapter. :{D

It was the sickening sensation of the twist and twirl of a car, maneuvering around a serpentine path, which settled in the base of my stomach as I plummeted through darkness. At the end of it all, I was embraced by a thick liquid which caught my crash.

 I struggled through the goo, limbs still trembling with weakness, my eyes forcibly pressed shut by the pressure of the liquid. I was unable to escape the darkness, unable to escape the grasp of the thick goo. It was virtually one of my biggest fears, stuck in a small compacted area, yet I felt cocooned in security.

I wanted to remain there, in the darkness. Forever.

Hands latched onto my wrists and gently began yanking me towards them. They were large. Masculine? I struggled back, silently crying out. I didn't want to leave. Death! Death! Death! I wanted those hands on my wrists to be his, desperately hoping they were his.

Suddenly, the horrifying memory of what was to come flew around my skull repetitively. I was traveling to earth from the Unknown. I was embraced by light, but it was like the painful flash of a camera going off against my vision. With one final heave from the hands, I fell from the thick liquid of the Unknown in a heap, on cold pavement. A solidified, metallic substance remained in front of my vision on my hands, until suddenly, the liquid melted and skirted in small streams which frantically moved behind me.  I turned my head around, facing an obvious, barely large enough mirror portal, and sucked in a large breath of cool air as the mirrors wavy surface grew dull, still.

I felt no connection.

As I turned back around, eyes entranced by the alluring light above. It gave me a headache so I attempted to shut my eyes. They were pried open. A simple shut of my eyes was growing increasingly difficult.

Voices spoke from all directions. I couldn't pick up anything they were saying because I felt like I was underwater, my ears were so clogged.

The light absorbed into its container where it became imprisoned. A street light. Silhouettes of men stepped out from the shadows and skulked a few feet forward.. None of them matched the strength of Death's shoulders. His impeccably straight posture, and overall symmetry. None of them gave off the warmth I desired to hold onto. I had felt his presence before in the Unknown, like an iron cage around my well-being, now there was only a bareness around my soul.

He was gone. Death was gone. The beast was trapped in the Unknown, while the damsel roamed free.

A silence stretched between the shadows as I remained on all fours on the cool, damp pavement. I dropped my gaze to the ground and that was when I started to cry uncontrollably. "Bring me back," I sobbed at the ground as if it would respond, spreading my hands across the cool ground and settling my warm cheek in a small puddle of water. I snuck my hand under my sweatshirt and rested it onto the invisible marking on my abdomen. I felt nothing. There was a missing part of me.

The same hands that had grabbed my wrists and helped me from the portal, plucked me straight off the ground, and forced me against them. The embrace reminded me of Death, increasingly churning my stomach. I felt like I was being muffled, until I realized they were trying to comfort.

You'll never feel comfort again.

I hadn't realized how cold I was until then. I held onto that heated body with all of my strength. Thankfully, the person got the message and wrapped their arms around me as well. They were a lot more welcoming then Death had been when we had hugged. It was nice to not feel rejected for once. Nevertheless, I somehow wasn't comforted in the slightest. I felt separated from the person I was embracing, but at least I was warm.