Bandits

I tore through the desert sands, my boots sinking in every few steps. I hastily pushed a bit of green hair that had fallen out of my hood back in. I glanced behind me, swearing under my breath. They were right behind me. I saw a small town coming up ahead. I had to get there first.

Suddenly, a searing pain tore through my leg. A bullet. I felt face-first into the sand, no longer able to run. One of my pursuers yanked me up by the collar, calling to his comrades. He threw me on top of one of the camels, tying my hands together with a stiff bit of rope. 

—-

Within a few hours,  we had reached something closely resembling a prison. I was shoved inside, led down dark spiraling stairs, into a lair of underground cells. Home Sweet Home.

After the guards had left, I sighed, leaning my head against the solid walls. I could be stuck in here for the rest of my life, just for a little thievery. Boo-hoo, a vendor lost an apple or two. Jokes on him, I'd already eaten it. I shifted, feeling minuscule grains of sand tumble out of my clothes. 

"So, what're you in for?" A smooth voice came from the dark. I glanced around the cell, seeing someone who hadn't been there before. Someone about my age, with a mess of blond hair and stark grey eyes. He tilted his head, analyzing my movements. 

"Stole from a vendor. Got chased all over the damn desert before they shot me in the leg and dragged me here." 

"You got shot? Let me see." He crawled over, lifting my leg up a little. 

"Yikes, that looks bad. I'll need to take the bullet out. Thankfully, I've been shot enough to carry supplies with me. It shouldn't be too bad, it's very close to the surface." He pulled a small medical kit from his back pouch, pulling out a pair of thin but sturdy tweezers. 

I cried out in pain as he gripped the bullet, shifting it around. I balled up my fists, my nails digging into my palms. 

"Okay, this will be the worst part. Ready?" He asked softly, readying to pull it out. I shook my head no, tears of pain welling you in my eyes. 

"Alright, 1, 2, 3." Searing pain shot into my leg, making me loose my grip on the pain. Suddenly, his lips hit mine, blocking out the pain completely. I put my hand on the back of his neck, his finding the base of my back. After a few moments, he pulled away, fingering with the hair near the bottom of my neck.

"What was that for?" I asked breathlessly.

"To distract you from the pain." He said, wrapping up the now bleeding more wound. My eyes found their way to a small, barred window. The sun had completely fallen. I felt a shiver crawl up my arms.

"It's getting dark, and it gets cold in here. Here," He shifted so he sat next to me. "Now, we won't be cold." He placed a soft kiss on my forehead before leaning his head on mine. A small smile graced my lips as I fell into sleep.