A Question of Correspondence

To say that Lady Susan found this most recent disclosure shocking must be labelled an understatement.

She simply could not bring herself to believe it. And yet she held in her hands the very proof belying her disbelief at such an unexpected event. A wedding invitation from Mr Sydney Parker. An invitation to attend his wedding to Mrs Eliza Campion!

It simply would not do. Of course, she would have to refuse. She could not fathom it. What would cause a man so clearly besotted with one young lady to instead, suddenly, tie himself to another? Another who had already proven unfaithful, who had once before taken his heart, crushed it beneath her ill-fitted dancing slippers and proceeded to flaunt it before all and sundry. Truly! The woman lacked in every refinement that was desirable in a lady.

But Lady Susan's thoughts rapidly diverted to poor Charlotte Haywood. Sweet child that she was, Lady Susan could easily find within herself great concern for the state of her young friend's heart amid this excitement. There was only one thing to be done for it.

~•~

Charlotte Haywood was not expecting the receipt of a letter from London.

In truth she could think of no person with whom she could have any reason for corresponding. She was certain it could not be from Sidney Parker. For, even if he could not recognise the futility of writing her himself, the new Mrs Parker could be counted on to ensure that no contact was to be had between them.

Georgiana, to her knowledge, was still residing in Sanditon under the lax gaze of Mrs Griffiths. And she had, besides, received a letter and sent a reply of her own just yesterday to that lady.

Perhaps Mr Parker and Mary were spending some time in Town and the letter was from them? Regardless, the only way Charlotte would learn the author's identity would be to open the letter and avail herself of its contents.  And so, she did.

Worcester House, London

August 26th, 1823

My dearest Charlotte,

Oh, my dear, I have just been made aware of the most unfortunate event, though I feel certain you knew of it long before I. To hear that Mister Parker has tied himself to that grasping harlot Eliza Campion is very shocking to me. He had seemed a man of greater sense than that.

But Charlotte, you must have been so bitterly disheartened. My imagination cannot possibly do your disappointment justice, I fear.

I do bear some good news, my friend, so you may take heart in that. My Prinny has just purchased a new house in Bath for me so that I might enjoy visits to my family with greater regularity. But that is not my good news.

Hear this, the furnishings are dreadfully outdated and the building is in great need of modernising. With Prinny uninterested as he in with such concerns, I shall be entirely alone during this endeavour. Charlotte, I insist that you accompany me to Bath and aid me in my project for I can imagine no lady whose company I would enjoy so much as yours. Your enthusiasm and energy are delightfully refreshing after years surrounded by the icy manners of the society in Town.

If you, and of course your father and mother, are in agreement, I shall collect you in my carriage a sennight Thursday that we might travel together. It shall be such fun.

Your friend,

Lady Susan Worcester

When Charlotte departed Sanditon, she would not have thought to hear again from Lady Susan!

But a carriage rolled through Willingden a sennight later and soon three weeks had passed since Charlotte's arrival in Bath. Their days had been so filled with hustle and bustle, with social calls and shopping and so many new experiences, that Charlotte found herself with scarcely a moment to dwell on her heartache. Which is not to say that she did not dwell. She did. Only very little, for her mind was occupied by far more wonderful thoughts during her waking hours.