An Improper Greeting

Charlotte's morning the next day was occupied with correspondence; she read and replied to letters from her parents and siblings, from Lady Babington and from Mary Parker who wrote to invite her to visit with them once more this summer and to attend the 5th annual Midsummer Regatta.

Charlotte happily responded to her family's news and questions and was sure to assure them of her continued wellbeing; Esther wrote of her young son having taken his first steps and had enclosed an invitation to a ball which would be the first ball she would host since her confinement and only the second since her marriage and she was keen to have Charlotte there for she counted among her truest friends.

Charlotte was obliged to decline the invitation extended by Mrs Parker and cited her engagements in Town throughout much of the summer though she was sure to also extend her sincerest apologies and regret at having to refuse the generous offer. Though she did not like to think on it, Charlotte had other reservations that contributed her refusal; while she knew her heart to have long since healed, she did not yet feel ready to encounter one Sidney Parker once more and was uncertain she would be able to maintain her composure upon that reunion.

Soon the bells rang and alerted Charlotte to the encroaching luncheon hour that was observed in her brother's household. The family had not long finished the light meal of pastries and cold meats when the first callers of the afternoon were announced. Lord and Lady Babington were shown into the drawing room where the necessary introductions were made between the guests and her brother and sister. Esther and Lord Babington greeted them all cordially and Lord Babington with his own usual civility before Charlotte was drawn into eager discussion between the ladies on the very ball she had accepted to attend that morning. The gentleman, likewise, were content to discuss business and politics. Lord and Lady Babington did not stay for very long and were soon on their way to make calls to their other friends and acquaintances.

The next caller was a business associate of her brother's and his wife who were introduced to Charlotte as Mr and Mrs Richardsson and she was summarily informed by the latter that her husband was invested in the shipping business her brother used to import and export the goods he dealt in himself. These goods were vast and varied in nature, spanning from fabrics and exotic silks from India to spices from the far east which he brought into the country to the delicate chinaware and spirits shipped from British shores to foreign places.

To this visit was added Mr Fitzwilliam some half an hour later. The gentleman engaged all in attendance in open and friendly conversation and his frank manner of speaking, which had initially been so unsettling to Charlotte and Madelaine, soon was more fondly appreciated for he presented himself as a man disinclined to blindly believe all females stupid and conversed with them, if not as equals, then as the reasonably well-educated gentlewomen they were.

Mr and Mrs Richardsson were escorted from the house by her brother who was, himself, leaving to meet with an investor and they were followed shortly by Mr Fitzwilliam who, having learned during the course of his visit that Charlotte would be in attendance at Lady Babington's ball, had requested her first set in the dances to be had that evening before he departed just as Lady Granville and Lady Susan arrived.

Lady Granville, though gratified to learn her efforts to encourage Charlotte's acceptance into her own social circles had so clearly begun to bear fruit, was somewhat resentful that the young lady she hoped she might soon call her niece was now required to divide her time between suitors which would make her nephew's courting of the girl all the more challenging. Nevertheless, the group of ladies engaged in lively conversation which only halted with the announcement of the Viscount's arrival.

Charlotte, who had allowed the time to completely pass her notice, was very much relieved when her brother chose that moment to return from his business and usher the man into his study where he surely intended to interrogate Lord Morpeth about his intentions to his sister. Charlotte was quickly ushered by Madelaine to her chambers where Alyona, who would be accompanying them as chaperone, was waiting to help Charlotte change into a riding habit.