Promises Given and Kept

Charlotte and George took their places for the seventh set of the evening, a minuet and another quadrille, both revelling in a mixture of nervousness and exaltation and anticipation of what was soon to come. The set finished far too quickly for their liking and Charlotte was quickly claimed for the eighth by the Baron Fortmarthen who was a tall, gangly, sallow fellow with an uneasy manner and, it quickly became evident by the frequency with which he stepped on her feet, little skill at dancing.

She was thankful that the ninth set was yet unclaimed and Lord Babington, who had been directed to partner her by his wife who desired a moments reprieve, was quite amenable to sitting it out so that Charlotte's suffering toes might stand a chance at recovering before the final set of the evening. Charlotte spent that time in conversation with Esther and Lord Babington and various other individuals who approached for brief conversations. The Viscount appeared at her shortly after the close of the ninth set for which he had been partnered with a friend of one of sisters.

Lord Morpeth paced a flute of champagne in her hands as Lord and Lady Babington called for quiet and made a toast to spring and the coming summer, inviting all gathered to join them in a drink. Following this the strains of La Belle Assemble could be heard as couples ventured to dance the final set and it was to disapproving and conspiratorial whispers and murmurs that Charlotte and George took their places for a third time that evening. The minuet that formed the first part of the set, which would be formed of three dances than two gave way to the Waltz in Don Giovani and then the King of Hearts Waltz. Both waltzes were very definitely couples dances allowing as they did for greater contact between dancers with hands placed about the waists of one's partner and with a great deal of turning and minimal crossing involved.

While the pair were dancing, the many observers could be heard commenting on the behaviour of a couple who, though widely acknowledged to be courting, were not formally engaged. There were mixed opinions as to the desired event that would follow their actions: friends and family chose not to worry overmuch, certain as they were in George and Charlotte's attachment to each other. Many of the young debutantes and society matrons clucked and tutted and desired the girl be abandoned by the desirable bachelor while those who held no vested interest could only hope their actions would not result in further scandal.

Charlotte and the Viscount were, of course, oblivious to all this and perfectly content to lose themselves in the intimacy of the dances and their usual light teasing of each other. They were sorely disheartened when the notes of the tune accompanying the final dance of the evening drifted to a halt and indicated that the ball was approaching its close.

Though they remained and were among the last guests to leave, they parted reluctantly that evening and hoped the morning would come swiftly as they retired to bed in their respective homes and fell into the arms of waiting slumber.

Morning did indeed come quickly for it was late when they had returned home the prior evening, though in truth it had been morning then already. Charlotte dressed quickly in a simple day dress of white muslin printed with closely spaces green flowers and ornamented only by a green sash at the waist and after enjoying a light breakfast ventured out with Alyona to collect some parcels she intended to send back to Willingden and Walcot Hall for her family and tenants with the morning post.

Upon their return to Fitzroy Square later that morning, The Viscount had already arrived and was waiting with her brother and sister in the sitting room.

"Justin, I hope the post hasn't been sent off yet, there are things I want to add to it." She called out as she entered the room while removing her bonnet, Alyona trailing behind, parcels in hand. She froze for a moment as she noticed Lord Morpeth was among the group who had all stood as she arrived. "Lord Morpeth... we did not expect you so early, Sir." She greeted and, in realising her error, rushed to add, "Which isn't to say you are unwelcome because of course you are" but the last words drifted off quietly, knowing that she was surely only making herself appear more awkward rather than less.