Always a Fool

The Sanditon Regatta had begun in earnest. The townspeople had ventured from their homes and the beach and riverside fields had filled with crowds before the sun had reached its zenith. When Charlotte and George arrived, she had been quickly surrounded by the younger Parker children who quickly persuaded her to help them build their sandcastle for the children's competition that morning.

To Charlotte's surprise, Eliza could be seen sitting on a blanket in the sand with her son as he piled up a misshapen mound of the grainy substance with his hands. Mrs Parker's despair at the mess little Thomas had made of himself could be seen by all but no one could deny the fondness in her expression as she watched him.

"Mrs Parker." she said as she was towed past the mother and son by the eager the little hands that held her own.

Eliza looked up and frowned at the sight of the younger woman but nodded in acknowledgement of the greeting. "Lady Morpeth, good morning." She would not do anything to further alienate what few friends she had in the seaside town and the former Miss Heywood was well liked. Elize had no intention of being more friendly than was necessary, however, and quickly returned her attention to Thomas as he tried to shove his sand-covered fist into his mouth.

Charlotte studied Eliza for a moment before her attention was caught by the slip of her shoe and she fought to correct her balance before she tumbled to the ground. The little hand in hers, which belonged to Henry, tugged at her own and she began walking with him to join his sisters at their spot in the sand.

The morning passed quickly as Charlotte poured her attention into supporting the children to achieve their lofty sandcastle dreams. George watched his wife from the shade of the marquee that had been sent up by the circulating library while in conversation with Babington, Crowe and the Parker brothers as wagers were made on the outcomes of the various events to be held throughout the week. The group of gentlemen had been abandoned quickly by Sidney Parker who was still displeased with his friend and had no wish to be in the Viscount's company.

The Ladies had spent the earlier hours of the morning touring the town and making the acquaintance of some of the local people and emerged onto the strand shortly before the judging of the sandcastle competition commenced. Lady Susan had made the introductions between the Ladies Howard and Granville and Lady Denham, Tom, Mary, Sidney and Eliza Parker with great delight at the reactions she garnered from them and which ranged from pleasant friendliness to cold incivility. The sisters, for their own part, delighted in causing vexation to the individuals they met and were sure to scrutinise the couple who had previously caused their Charlotte such unhappiness.

As it turned out, none of the Parker children won the sandcastle competition that year, ceding victory to the son of the architect who had been employed to replace the young Mr Stringer in supervising the ongoing construction and expansion of the town. It was betwixt the judging and the start of the boat race that Sidney determined to speak once more to Charlotte. He had to make his feelings known to her; bring their unaltered state to her awareness.

He was not to succeed in his endeavour that day though for his plan was foiled by Lady Worcester. The Marchioness had been observing him and, upon the realisation that he intended to corner her friend, excused herself from her company to interfere with his plans.

Lady Susan positioned her person in his path and mulishly monopolised his attention. "Mr Parker, it has been sometime since you have been seen engaging in the fashionable pursuits to be had in Town." she said as she inconspicuously manoeuvred him away from his intended direction. "I confess it surprises me. I would have thought your wife reluctant to give up its pleasures."

Sidney scowled down at the interfering piece of skirt that had put herself in his way. "You are correct, Lady Worcester. My wife does not readily remove herself from Town when there is entertainment to be had." Sidney looked away from the woman before him to gaze at another and gave a reluctant sigh when he saw that she had returned to her husband's side and appeared to be having a merry time of things with Lady Babington, his ward and Miss Entworth.