Revelations at Almack's

Over the next week Charlotte and Lord Morpeth encountered each other several times. The Viscount could be counted on to call upon her if not every day, then certainly every other and even on days where h was absent from their own drawing room he could be met upon entry to Ormond House at St James' Square and Carlisle House at Grosvenor Square. And on one occasion Charlotte was happened upon by the gentleman while sat under a tree with a book as her brother, sister and niece played pall mall in Regent's Park.

Mr Fitzwilliam had continued to call upon her, often bearing flowers, and on a memorable Tuesday afternoon had arrived within minutes of one of the Viscount's many visits. The latter gentlemen had discarded the pretence of escorting his sisters or cousins to call on her and had, just moments before the former's arrival made known his intention to court her which Charlotte had been all too happy to allow him.

Mr Fitzwilliam could be counted upon to bring lively debate to their drawing room and had made no secret of his affection for Charlotte. His initial reaction to learning that he had competition in his courtship of her had not been kind and in doing so had granted Charlotte a view of his temper. It was an occurrence she was not eager to repeat.

That gentleman had finally spoken to her of his intentions on the Wednesday and made known his desire to offer for her in the coming weeks. Charlotte had tried to gently discourage his pursuit at that meeting though she feared her words had little impact on him for he did not let up in his calls to their home and had even brought with him the following day one his elder brothers for the sole purpose of introducing them. She had been left on their departure with the distinct impression that a firmer hand and tongue would be needed and had immediately set to seek the advice of her elder friends on how to handle the matter.

In the end, Charlotte needn't have worried for Mr Fitzwilliam's father, the earl, had caught wind of his son's attachment to a country nobody and issued an ultimatum to his youngest son: if he continued his pursuit of a penniless farmer's daughter his allowance would be cut off and his inheritance forfeit. Mr Fitzwilliam, though quite attached to Miss Heywood, was more attached to his manner of living and could only acknowledge his salary as a lawyer would not allow him to maintain his lifestyle and keep a wife comfortably. He had called upon the young lady on the Saturday and made this known to her and expressed his hope that his withdrawal did no great damage to her heart. Charlotte could only inform him that his hopes were met and assured him they could part as friends for her heart had, in truth, been little touched.

While these events were occurring, Lady Susan and Lady Granville had called at Almack's Assembly Rooms to retrieve the voucher that had been issued to the Heywoods for the duration of April and purchased for them a set of tickets to the next assembly which would be held the next Wednesday. The pair had then delivered the voucher and tickets to the family on the Friday and informed them that they would accompany Lord and lady Worcester and their eldest daughter on the evening of their first attendance.

The Wednesday a fortnight following their visit to Astley's came around most rapidly. A carriage arrived at 17 Fitzroy Square in the late afternoon which was set to convey them to Lady Susan's residence at Berkeley Square and Charlotte had been instructed to bring with her the three gowns that had gone unworn during their trip to Moscow the summer previous with all their accompanying necessities. A footman would return the bulk of the garment to her brother's home later that evening.

Madelaine had begged off attending the assembly that evening, citing a headache and unsettled constitution and, insisting she would be quite happy to spend a quiet evening with Reignette, bid them enjoy themselves.

Upon their arrival at Lady Susan's, Charlotte and Alyona were immediately bundled upstairs into a guest chamber where the latter was instructed to lay out the gowns on the bed and the former to disrobe in the attached dressing room. The dresses that had been laid upon the bed included a hand-printed floral cream silk with red ribbon embellishments, a striped purple silk with slightly puffed sleeves and a pale golden silk with prominent black floral embroidery and broderie anglaise on the overskirt.