Chapter 5

Echokit was dreaming; she was sure of it. Even though the grass smelled real and felt real beneath her paws, she knew she was dreaming. How else could she get this far away from the camp? After all, she'd never been anywhere outside the camp, so how would she have gotten here?

Echokit turned around, wondering when she was going to wake up. It was probably the most boring dream she'd ever had.

Then a strange scent filled her nose. She turned around and found a silver she-cat with blue eyes sitting before her. She shook her head to try and clear away the dream.

"That won't work," meowed the she-cat quietly.

"Why not?" demanded Echokit, now a little scared, "I've never seen you before, so why would I have a dream about you? And besides, when I wake up, I'll be back in the nursery to look forward to another peaceful day at camp." She turned away and started padding into the forest, not knowing which way to go.

"I'm afraid that's not true."

"What do you mean?" Echokit exclaimed, turning around abruptly, "I am going back, aren't I? I haven't done anything to you, so why should you keep me hostage?" Echokit was now becoming really terrified and even more confused.

"Calm down. Yes, you are going back. I meant that you won't be able to go back and have another peaceful day at camp for a long time," she said, looking at Echokit sadly.

"Wh-what d-do you mean?" stuttered Echokit, "I'm not going to die, am I?"

"No, not for a quite a while."

"So what do you mean? And who are you? Why are you here?"

"It is a very long story. But I will tell you, don't worry. Okay, so who am I? I'm Whirlheart, one of your warrior ancestors."

"You're from StarClan then, aren't you?" Echokit asked, astonished.

Whirlheart nodded, then continued, "Now, for why I am here. Well, first, let's start with this: in the old Clans that patrolled a far away territory, something StarClan couldn't even predict happened: the earth started to shake. It was so bad that old, strong trees were uprooted, and fell onto many cats, instantly killing them. Then, the shaking brought water from under the ground up onto the forest, and it all flooded downhill taking huge rocks, trees, and even cats with it. It gathered speed as it headed downhill, and killed everything in its path. Every single kit and elder was killed, and the queens died trying to save their kits. After it had gone, the land was no longer suitable for life." Whirlheart shuddered.

"Nine warriors, two apprentices, and one medicine cat survived from all the Clans combined. They got together and immediately headed toward the mountains in search for a new home and food, despair and grief filling their hearts at their lost Clanmates. Four of the cats died from weakness, including both apprentices. And, unfortunately, disease swept through the remaining cats on their long, hard journey, and, without the proper herbs he was used to, the medicine cat couldn't save them and one more of the cats died. But, eventually the remaining seven reached a large group of loners in a Twoleg den, in a new peaceful forest on the other side of the mountains, where they treated the Clan cats and fed them, making them stronger again. The Clan cats realized that the loners behaved sort of like a Clan; more like a Clan than any other loners they'd come across, only they lived in a Twoleg den and had no StarClan or warrior code.

"One night, while he was sleeping, the medicine cat had a dream from StarClan, telling him that four of the loners would be the future of the new Clans: DawnClan, DuskClan, DayClan, and NightClan. He was told to separate the loners into these Clans based on their skill and where they hunted best. When he woke, he told the other Clan cats and said they would each take some cats into different parts of the land and divide up territories like they did in their old home. They all nodded and went to speak with the loners. The loners liked the idea of a Clan because all cats with similar skills would stick together, and be stronger together.