Chapter 15

When Echopaw and Bronzepelt reached camp, Echopaw holding her shrew and Bronzepelt holding a mouse and a finch, Eveningstar was on the High-stone, and the Clan was gathered at the base of it.

"Okay, we should leave now, I bet most of the other Clans are already on their way; we don't want to be the Clan that shows up last, do we?"

"No!" the rest of the Clan shouted, and Echopaw saw Whisperpaw joining in the loudest.

"Okay, so I'll choose—" Eveningstar stopped as he saw Bronzepelt and Echopaw walking toward the High-stone. "Oh good! You're back!" He blinked warmly at the vole in Echopaw's jaws. "Congratulations on your first catch by the way Echopaw."

Echopaw blushed and beamed shyly as she nodded her thanks to Eveningstar.

Eveningstar shook his head as if clearing a thought. "Enough chit-chat, we've got a Gathering to get to. Echopaw, Bronzepelt, put your prey on the fresh-kill pile."

Echopaw followed her mentor away from the gathered cats to the fresh-kill pile. She raced ahead of him, hastily tossed the shrew on the fresh-kill pile, and ran back to the High-stone to sit next to her sister.

"Nice job on your first catch!" her sister meowed cheerfully as Echopaw reached her.

"Thanks," she purred. "The shrew was easy to catch; it didn't even notice me. You should have seen me try and catch a mouse; great StarClan they're fast!"

Whisperpaw purred with amusement then meowed, "So you didn't catch it then?"

"No, I didn't. But it's alright, at least I brought home something!"

Whisperpaw nodded her agreement, then looked back up at their leader in excitement.

"Now it's time to choose a patrol. Time is wasting away and we must get going! Okay, I'll take Aspenleaf and Creekfall, Copperleaf, Twigfoot, Bronzepelt." He paused, glancing around the clearing. "Gravelpelt, Spruceclaw, then Echopaw and Whisperpaw."

"Great StarClan!" Echopaw squealed. "We get to go to the Gathering!"

"I can't believe it!" Whisperpaw squealed in return. Then they both started chasing each other in their excitement.

Eveningstar nodded in satisfaction then yowled to the Clan, "Cats on the Gathering patrol, we're leaving now! Let's go!"

Echopaw bounced up and was about ready to race out of camp, but was stopped by a voice behind her.

"You're not leaving without saying goodbye, are you?"

Echopaw turned around and saw Sparktail and Rustypelt sitting side by side. Echopaw raced over to them and heard Whisperpaw right behind her. Echopaw ran over to her mother and rubbed her face in her fur and meowed, "Goodnight, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight. Have fun, and be safe. Do exactly as Eveningstar and your mentors tell you," Rustypelt meowed.

"We know!" Whisperpaw replied.

Echopaw licked her father's shoulder and then followed her sister toward the bramble bushes and the rest of the patrol, but she was stopped again by another cat.

Hailpaw meowed, "Lucky furball! Anyway, be safe, and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye!" Echopaw smiled, then raced out of camp after Whisperpaw.

Eveningstar yowled, "We need to run through at least our territory if we have any hope of making it there on time. Once we reach DayClan territory... well, we'll see then. And remember, stay within two fox-lengths of the border when we get there. We don't need a fight with DayClan."