Chapter 9

"So how in StarClan's name are we supposed to save the Clans? We're only apprentices!" asked Whisperpaw in a hushed voice.

Echopaw and Whisperpaw were out collecting fresh moss for the elders by the stream. Because of the overflowing river, they weren't allowed to go training until the banks of the flood lowered. So, they had spent their last days learning how to wring out the fresh moss and how to check the elders for ticks with Goldheart. As part of the job, they would also bring the elders fresh-kill when they brought the moss. This was the only part about being an apprentice that Echopaw didn't like. They would be doing it until they became warriors; it was an apprentice duty, so, inevitably, they had to do it.

It was way past sunhigh, and, with how busy they had been, Echopaw and Whisperpaw hadn't even seen half the Clan at all that day.

Echopaw sighed. "I don't know. StarClan has gone crazy, thinking that we can save the Clans," Echopaw replied, digging up another patch of moss.

"No, they haven't; StarClan had a purpose for sending both of us that vision. They believe we have the power to save the Clans when the danger comes, but I don't see how we can. Maybe StarClan will send Whirlheart again..." Whisperpaw trailed off.

Echopaw gathered up her moss and meowed, "We should go. We've been gone a while; the whole Clan will be out searching for us if we don't hurry and get back to camp."

Whisperpaw muttered her agreement through a mouthful of moss. Both cats padded away from the stream and back toward the DawnClan camp.

When they arrived, and passed through the bramble bushes at the entrance to the camp, they headed toward the elders' den, being careful to avoid the large puddle still in the center of the camp.

"You get the prey, and I'll give them this moss. Let's hope that they don't complain about ticks," Whisperpaw shivered, "Mouse bile clings to fur for a whole moon!"

Echopaw laughed, then ran over to the fresh-kill pile. It was much larger now that the puddles had dried up and it had been sunny for the last few days since the storm. But, according to the patrols, which Echopaw hadn't been on, the river was still just as flooded. Eveningstar had ordered that no cat, unless they were a warrior, was allowed near the river, so Bronzepelt and Gravelpelt had decided to show Echopaw and Whisperpaw how to take care of the elders.

Echopaw grabbed two voles and a blackbird for the elders and padded back to the elders' den.

"Here's your moss, Spruceclaw," Echopaw heard Whisperpaw meow.

"Thanks, Whisperpaw," he replied.

Echopaw stepped into the elders' den and saw Whisperpaw giving Spruceclaw some moss. Fogtail and Ferrettail already had theirs and were piling it up in the corners.

When they saw Echopaw with their fresh-kill, Fogtail meowed, "Thank StarClan you're finally here. I'm so hungry I could eat a badger!"

"Well," snapped Echopaw, and suddenly all of her worries spilled over into anger. "If you are really that hungry, you can get up and walk over to the fresh-kill pile yourself. Just because you're an elder doesn't mean you can't take care of yourself!"

Fogtail looked taken aback at her sudden outburst, then she sneered, "You think that you're so important that you should be given a better job than taking care of the lazy bags of bones you call the elders, huh?" She snorted. "Well, here's some news for you! You are not that important! Doesn't anyone teach young cats respect anymore?"

What made Echopaw blurt out the next thing, she never knew. "You say I'm not important? I am so important that the Clans will be destroyed without me!" Fogtail narrowed her eyes in fury, but looked confused.