Chapter 6

Echopaw leapt off of the High-stone and watched as her sister bounced after Gravelpelt. Echopaw's stomach started to growl, but she was too excited to eat. She followed her new mentor to the clearing and decided to ask him the question that had been building up inside of her since she found out she was going to be named an apprentice.

"So when do we start training?" she blurted out to Bronzepelt.

"Tomorrow, if you like," he replied, looking down at her at smirking.

"Yes!" she exclaimed, her paws kneading the ground in excitement.

Bronzepelt purred in amusement, "Come on, I'll show you the apprentices' den."

He walked over to the clump of heather bushes where the apprentices' den was; it was in the same clump of bushes as the nursery, Echopaw realized, just further to the right.

"Here it is," meowed Bronzepelt, moving aside so that Echopaw could check it out.

"Wow!" She exclaimed, stepping inside. "And it's all to me and Whisperpaw!"

"Yes, for about three moons, then Cloverkit and Hailkit will be moving in here too," meowed Bronzepelt. Then he turned around, "Here comes Whisperpaw and Gravelpelt now."

"Whisperpaw! Look at the apprentices' den! And it's all to us!" she exclaimed as her sister came closer.

"I know! And we get to sleep here tonight! No more nursery, no more being stuck in camp, and no more little crying kits, even though they are cute," purred Whisperpaw.

Gravelpelt's whiskers twitched with amusement and he meowed, "We'll leave you now. The sun has nearly set." And with that, their mentors turned and padded away toward the warriors' den.

Echopaw took one last look around their new den. While she was walking out, her stomach started growling again and she decided not to ignore it this time. "Come on Whisperpaw, I'm so hungry I could eat a whole fox!"

"Me too. Let's go," Whisperpaw agreed, and they headed to the fresh-kill pile.

Echopaw picked a nice plump mouse and Whisperpaw grabbed a vole for herself. While they were eating, Echopaw saw Hailkit and Cloverkit over by the nursery, looking at them. Cloverkit's eyes were full of longing, but Hailkit glared at them, jealousy burning in his blue eyes. Cloverkit whispered something in her brother's ear, and he looked away from them, nose in the air.

"What's got his tail all tied in a knot?" Whisperpaw meowed, following Echopaw's gaze.

"Us," Echopaw replied bitterly.

"Don't let him ruffle your fur," Whisperpaw soothed, resting her tail on Echopaw's back, "He knew it was going to happen sometime soon. We are nearly three moons older than him. He'll get over it."

"Huh," she grumbled and turned back to her mouse.

"We'd better get to sleep; training starts at dawn!" Whisperpaw meowed enthusiastically.

"Yeah, all right," murmured Echopaw, and she followed her sister to the apprentices' den. She passed her mother and father, who licked each of their heads as they passed. Then they turned and headed for the warriors' den. Whisperpaw turned and dragged Echopaw along, telling her the sun was setting and they had to get to sleep. Echopaw followed her sister until they reached the apprentices' den, and gladly stepped inside.

Echopaw walked into her new den, and Whisperpaw followed her. She headed to the corner where she gathered up her moss, which was put there by Bronzepelt, and made a soft nest.

She curled up and laid there for a while, wondering why Hailkit had seemed so mad at them. She could understand Cloverkit's sadness; they wouldn't have much time to play with each other anymore. But what had she done to upset Hailkit? It wasn't her fault she was nearly three moons older than him.