Chapter 1: I've Already Made My Decision

Dear Readers,

I'm happy to finally have published the first chapter of The Devil's Disciple. I hope you enjoy it! I've worked on this project for quite a while. I've stockpiled on chapters. So, you won't have to worry about late updates. For now, I'm planning on publishing one chapter per day. I am not a professional author, so please bear with my writing. Constructive criticism is always welcome. Also, throughout her journey, the main character will age. In this first book, the main character starts off at the age of twelve. I know Wattpad is more of a platform for young adult audiences. I ask that you still please give this story a try. If you can't deal with it, it's fine. I wish you the best of luck on finding a book that suits your taste! Hopefully, this is the one!

Sincerely,

Ms. Author

P.S. Writing in the point of view of a twelve year old is incredibly hard.

Chapter 1

Silence. Silence is terrible.

She thought that being as silent as a snake was a good thing. With her silence, she could pocket all the secrets in the castle, and use them when the time was ripe. But she never expected to find out that person's terrible secret. Ildra Farvin sat enclosed in the magnificent royal carriage, the shining gems hiding her broken mind.

At this time, she should've been sitting in front of her dresser, with her ten ladies-in-waiting dolling her up for the day. However, she had heard the call of the Gods, maybe even her destiny. If she hadn't chosen to stay silent, maybe she wouldn't be in this predicament. Or would she still end up on this journey towards the Holy Palace?

She had spent the last twelve years of her life as an idle inhabitant of the Royal Palace. This was her first serious outing. For the past twelve years, she had lived through the same routine. Get dressed. Sit like a silent doll for mother. Sit like a silent doll for father. Eat. Maybe go out to buy luxuries. Sleep. That person would, occasionally, bring color to her life. But she had never once suspected that person's thoughts! How foolish!

Thinking back on it, why hadn't she tried to hunt for his secrets earlier? Wasn't it because just as she had silently mistrusted everyone around her, she had silently trusted him? She was a fool!

In her head, that person always came to the palace for old memories. That person had meals at the palace to connect with the new. That person had conversations with her for fun.

Simply put, she was naive.

Yes, she had gotten it all wrong. She had forgotten the most crucial fact. There's never a simple reason behind a person's action. Her silence had taught her this.

How could she have forgotten?

Ildra wished she had never come across that person's secret. But at the same time, she wished she had pocketed that secret earlier. Knowing the secret earlier wouldn't have saved her from this mess. But at least she could have saved her shattered heart. How did it come to this?

Since when did that person have such complicated thoughts?

That day, in the middle of the night, she had felt parched. How laughable she was to not have brought her personal maid with her. She just didn't want to go through the headache of waking up her deep sleeper maid.

The moment she heard his voice, she grew curious. Why didn't he return yet? She really should have minded her own business. But she was intrigued. And then, she uncovered the secret.

She wanted to scream. Instead, she stepped back into the shadows, and retreated to her bedroom. She chose the safest route for herself.

She felt a huge amount of relief when she made it back to her bed without any interruptions. By then, the maid still hadn't noticed her master's disappearance. So, she took that time to plan out her next steps.

For the first time in her life, she was faced with a difficult choice. She could either stay silent as she's always done or she could break that silence. Her decision had led her to this carriage bound for the Holy Palace.

"Um, Your Highness, we've arrived." The nervous maid's voice pulled her from her pit full of thoughts.

"Thank you, Wendy" Ildra nodded. With the help of her maid, she stepped down from the carriage and found herself in front of a pure white building. A lady clad in plain clothes was waiting outside of the building.

"What is the reason for your visit, donor?" the lady politely greeted, showing absolute indifference upon seeing the royal crest.

"I'm here to receive the gift the Gods have left for me," she responded. The Gods have a special connection with the people of Illyria. Every child born in this country will receive a gift from the Gods. The gifts are kept in the Holy Palace for safekeeping. A person can come any time to the palace to receive his or her gift. Some say the gift unlocks one's hidden destiny.

The lady led Ildra into a deep maze of halls. Ildra didn't try to remember the path in. She had the impression that the lady was leading her in a confusing way, so that she wouldn't remember. Finally, the group came to a stop in front of a door.

The lady fished a key out of her pocket. The key perfectly fit inside the knob, and the door opened with a click. The lady beckoned for her to enter, but barred her maid, Wendy, from following. Ildra was met with a single table with a piece of parchment sitting on it. She reached for the paper.

Her hand faltered as she felt a moment of hesitation. She could leave. She could pretend she never heard anything. She could go back to her old, fulfilling life. But-

"I've already made my decision," Ildra murmured with a hint of resolve.

She flipped the parchment over. She was immediately met with a pattern of swirling lines.

She had figured as much.

It was a map.

But not just any map.

It was the map of the Devil Continent.

Ildra firmly placed her finger on a piece of land called Lumyrna, the lord of which who would be her future savior and master.

Dear Readers,

I felt so depressed when writing the first part of the chapter. Even I didn't expect my writing to become so dark. Ildra is only twelve. What has that poor girl gone through to become so broken? She's so mature for her age. I cry for her. Anyway, readers please vote, comment, and read! Ildra may not seem lovable now, but I promise she does have a lovable side!

Sincerely,

Ms. Author