Chapter 9: It Was Quite Strange

Chapter 9

Ildra sighed as she took a peek out the window of the carriage. Her entire purpose for coming here was defeated.

"This carriage is entirely too eye catching," she commented as she placed her head into her gloved hands. Outside, everyone had stopped their work and were watching the carriage, while whispering amongst themselves. She had wanted to observe these people in their natural habitat, but that idea was now ruined.

These people were much too interested in the carriage. How could she observe their everyday actions now? Suddenly, a much more terrible implication hit Ildra. This carriage was so unique that anyone would be able to tell that the acting lady was coming for a visit. What if the villagers immediately scrambled to cover up the bad conditions after sighting her carriage.

She hoped this really wouldn't be true.

"Princess, I'm sorry it seems like I caused trouble," Victoria apologized. After all, she was the one who called for the carriage in the first place.

Ildra did not immediately comfort her. She did not immediately tell her that it was okay. If it was Wendy, she probably would have. But, Victoria was still under her strict scrutiny. But...

"It's quite alright, Victoria." But she could not say that Victoria's defense of her did not touch her.

Ildra gave Victoria a warm smile.

Ildra's warm smile shocked Victoria. She was not stupid. She could sense princess' coldness towards her since the beginning. So, why was she now giving into her? Why was she standing on her side? Victoria knew Ildra was an intelligent girl. Any person with the same brains as the princess would have suspected her. That kind of person would never just let it be. But the princess' gaze seemed to overlook the error.

"Princess, what-" she paused. The words had come right out of her mouth, like she couldn't hold the urge.

"Take it as a reward." The princess merely smiled.

"Is something wrong?" Wendy asked.

Her head whipped back and forth between her master and companion. She was not able to make sense of the conversation.

"You never understand anything, do you Wendy? You're just like a small child," Ildra teased.

"P-princess! A small child wouldn't be able to make your favorite tea!" Wendy retorted.

"Ah, you finally know how to fight, scaredy cat?" Ildra teased, dissipating the tension in the carriage with her full-blown, very much unladylike laughter. Victoria soon joined in with the laughter too.

By this time, Wendy's face had turned an unsurprising cherry color, her lips fixed into a pout. The image reminded both Victoria and Ildra of a sulking puppy, making them laugh harder.

"You two," Wendy fumed.

"Alright," Ildra finally relented, her laughter fading away.

"We came here for business, didn't we? Let's get back to business," Ildra announced, adopting a more serious face this time.

"I've got it! Let's go inspect a nearby restaurant. The sun will set soon anyway," Ildra suggested.

"Driver, please take us to the nearest restaurant!" Victoria called out. Meanwhile, Wendy sat quietly next to Victoria. Suddenly, she slapped her face with both of her hands. She wanted to get rid of her flushed face as soon as possible.

Soon, the carriage came to a stop in front of a crumbling, dilapidated hut. Hanging from the roof of the hut was a white banner with the black words "Lorelai Restaurant" painted on it. The banner was not perfectly white. It was smudged with brown spots everywhere, like it had fallen into mud one too many times.

"Welcome, my lady," a middle-aged man bowed before her. She frowned. It seemed her conjecture from before was right. The townspeople had prepared themselves for her possible visit/inspection.

"This is no formal visit. I've just come here to eat."

The man bowed even deeper, a smile forming on his face. All nobles were the same. They lie so easily. Probably, one of those peeps complained, and now this lady was inspecting. He wouldn't be fooled.

"I hope that you enjoy your visit," the man straightened up.

"Thank you," Ildra indifferently responded.

Actually, although her face was stone cold, she was shaken up inside. The man's smile had sent shivers down her spine.

"Princess, are you alright?" Wendy whispered, noticing the subtle change in her mistress.

Ildra sent her made a reassuring smile, thinking to herself how it was funny that Wendy could be dense to the most obvious things, but not so dense to the obscure.

"What would you like to eat?" the waiter asked after the three were seated. Ildra frowned at the menu in her hands.

In her hands was a menu filled with an expensive banquet. It was quite strange. Outside, it looked like the building was about to crumble, but here they were able to offer so many expensive delicacies. How was that possible?

"We will have the lamb feast," Ildra responded.

"I beg your pardon, but we have run out of the lamb feast, my lady. Is there anything else you would like?" the waiter humbly replied, the pen in his hand, ready to take note. He secretly hoped the lady would choose the chicken feast next or else he'd be in for a beating.

"Then, what about a turkey feast?" Ildra inquired with a raised eyebrow.

"My apologies, my lady, we don't have that either, is there anything else you would like?" the waiter asked. This time his voice had a sense of urgency. Deep inside, he was quite simply panicking. He shuddered at what might happen after this visit.

"My lady, if I may suggest, the cook's chicken feast is quite marvelous," another waiter smilingly suggested. Behind his warm smile though was a strong desire to protect his friend.

It was a good thing that he had walked into the diner right at that moment. If he hadn't come, what kind of mistake would his friend have made?! In fact, what was his dear friend even thinking in taking a shift behind his back?! This was not any normal place!

"Then we shall take that," Ildra smiled. She decided to let go of the game she was playing. A more interesting man had shown up. She could tell that that man was angry at the waiter for serving her for some odd reason. There was definitely more going on here than what touched the eye.

"We will get that ready for you right away, my lady," the first waiter scribbled away at his notepad, leaving in a hurry. The second waiter only gave a simple bow to her, while following right onto his heels.

Ildra's smile slipped from her face. Just as the second waiter had been leaving, she had caught a glimpse of the purple spots on his arms. If she was right, nothing here was simple.

Dear Readers,

It is becoming more and more tiring to write these chapters, but do not worry! My beloved characters always call to me, whenever I try to slack off.

Please read, vote, and comment!

From,

Ms. Author