Requirement

Jiang Cheng just stared at the paper while listening to Wei Wuxian and Jin Ling's explanations. The two already knew of Lan Xichen's plan before Lan Xichen could propose to him. Now, the two are kneeling in front of him.

"Jiang Cheng! I swear! I was too shocked when I heard Zewu-jun said it. I couldn't react!" Wei Wuxian said and raised his hand to swear. "Really! I wanted to tell you but I am hesitating. I didn't agree nor disagree to Zewu-jun asking my permission for your hand! Really!" he said as he raised his hand higher.

"Uncle!" Jin Ling called. "I only heard about this from Wei Wuxian." He said and frowned as he looked at Wei Wuxian kneeling beside him. "I wanted to tell you, but... but – " he said as he lowered his head.

"You're shy – " Wei Wuxian supplemented Jin Ling's words.

Jin Ling glared at Wei Wuxian. However, he didn't disagree. The two turned to him, waiting for him to answer.

Jiang Cheng lowered his cup and looked at the two. He looked at the for a long time the two broke in a cold sweat, afraid he might suddenly snap and whip them. "Did I say I am mad" he asked them, his voice calm.

"... huh?"

Jiang Cheng sighed as he sipped his drink. "I'm not mad." He told them.

The two's eyes went wide. "Really?!" they said.

Jiang Cheng nodded. "Yes." He answered. "Since I refused him." He said.

"Whew! I thought we're goners – wait. What?!" they said and looked at Jiang Cheng, shocked.

Jiang Cheng raised his brows at them. "Were you expecting I'll accept him?" he slowly asked, but the Zidian ring on his fingers lit up.

The two gulped back their words. "No..." they answered as they moved back.

Jiang Cheng looked at them. "I'm not in a hurry to marry." He said and looked at Wei Wuxian. "I have many responsibilities. Marriage will just add to them." He explained and looked at Jin Ling.

Jin Ling's eyes went wide, then he lowered his head. "Uncle." He called. "If I am holding you back... if I am the reason why you wouldn't marry... I – " he said.

Jiang Cheng cut him off. "Not you." He said. "There are many others." He told him as he put down his cup and stood from his seat. "The YunmengJiang Sect needs to be as strong as it was before, stronger if it could." He said. "The LanlingJin Sect, too. I need to reform it from its roots before I could fully pass it on to you." He told Jin Ling. "Also – " he said as his eyes narrowed and he looked at Wei Wuxian who immediately covered his mouth with his hand. " – why do I need to marry?" he asked. "Is it a requirement in life?" he said and frowned.

Wei Wuxian and Jin Ling shut up. Indeed, marriage is not a requirement. It's a choice. The matter ended with Jiang Cheng telling the two of them off.

"Wei Wuxian." Jin Ling called when they got out of the Lotus Pier.

"Call me 'uncle'." Wei Wuxian said.

"Why should I?" Jin Ling asked. "You're an adopted of the Jiangs." He said, frowning.

"I am still your legitimate uncle because of this body." Wei Wuxian grinned as he put his hands on his hips.

Jin Ling was totally speechless. This guy! He's twice my uncle! He thought. "Will uncle really not marry?" he asked Wei Wuxian.

Wei Wuxian looked at him. "Why ask me? I'm not Jiang Cheng to answer that." He said.

Jin Ling glared at him. "As if I could ask my uncle this!" he hissed. "Tell me." He said again.

Wei Wuxian frowned as he crossed his arms on his chest and he thinks. "By Jiang Cheng's current attitude... he really won't." he finally answered.

Jin Ling's eyes went wide. "What?!" he said.

Wei Wuxian turned to him. "Look. Even the best candidate to marry, Zewu-jun, offered himself to Jiang Cheng." He said. "But, what did Zewu-jun get? A rejection." He frowned and rolled his eyes. "I'm the one who has been with Jiang Cheng the longest, yet I can't understand why is he acting like this." He said, puzzled.

"But you've been gone for more than a decade. I've been with uncle more than you did." Jin Ling said.

Wei Wuxian felt like he had been shot. He frowned as he looked at Jin Ling. "You – " he said, then sighed when he saw Jin Ling's smug expression. That smirk is his peacock dad's yet the face is his mom's. Surely, what should I do with this kid? He thought and helplessly shook his head. "Fine. Then, why did you still ask me?" he said.

Jin Ling opened his mouth to rebut, but immediately closed it. "I just thought you'd know..." he muttered as he looked away, his face flushed in embarrassment.

Wei Wuxian smiled. "I don't know." He said as he walked away. "You were right. I've been away from Jiang Cheng for so long, now I don't know what he thinks." He said as he stopped and stared at the dark sky. "Things have all been changed... greatly." He said and looked at Lan Wangji standing afar. "But, there are also things that never changed." He said and smiled as he walked towards Lan Wangji who has always been waiting for him. "Lan Zhan. Did you wait for long?" he asked his husband.

Lan Wangji looked at him, then slightly shook his head. "No." he answered, then glanced at Jin Ling who was watching them silently.

Jin Ling's eyes went wide a she took a step back when he saw Lan Wangji's gaze on him. His brows knit. Wei Wuxian laughed as he patted Lan Wangji's shoulder. "Don't scare the child." He told him and turned to Jin Ling. "Ah Ling. Are you going back to Lanling?" he asked.

Jin Ling paused, then nodded.

Wei Wuxian smiled. "Then, go with us. We'll send you along the way." He told Jin Ling as he hopped on Little Apple's back. "Fortunately, your dog isn't with you. Let's go." He told the speechless Jin Ling. "We have more time to talk about Jiang Cheng. You tell me and I'll tell you. Sounds fair?" he asked and winked at Jin Ling.

Jin Ling's eyes lit up and he nodded. His fear of Lan Wangji disappeared. "Alright!" he answered.

Wei Wuxian smiled. Lan Wangji pulled Little Apple's reign as the three of them left the Lotus Pier, leaving Jiang Cheng who is working in his room alone.

Later, Wei Wuxian's hearty laugh rang in the silent Lotus Pier, then slowly faded as their figures disappeared in the distance.

(A/N: UwU JL is such a cutie <3 he wants to know about his jiujiu's past!) 

P.S. i really need comments right now to motivate me... i was so disappointed for today's events in rl (real life) TTATT)