Mortals Meet Jasper - "I should NOT be a qualified therapist." pt. 2

Angeline Karson was not okay. She knew that. Her boyfriend's death had shaken her up too much. She hadn't slept properly since before he had been killed. She hadn't eaten properly since then, either. She knew she needed help. So, she had decided to go to a therapist. Maybe it would help her cope.

There she was. Dr. Grace's office. she knocked on the door. "Come in, Dear," a feminine voice said. Angeline steeled herself and marched into the room. She would not be intimidated. Even without Jake. "Take a seat," she said.

Angeline was shocked. She wasn't dressed in a black suit and black tie with a grim face. She was a pretty woman with Native American heritage. She had choppy brown hair with a blue feather braided in that was falling apart. She was smiling and had pictures on the walls. They were pictures of Dr. Grace's family!

"Ah, yes. These are my family. My group on the Argo II, plus Calypso," she said as she pointed to the one full of teenagers. "That's my husband, Jason," she pointed to a picture of their wedding. "My children, Jaycee and Tris," she pointed to 2 young girls.

"Don't we have to talk about depressing stuff?" Angeline asked once she recovered. She liked that Dr. Grace had pictures of her family. It made her seem human.

Dr. Grace smiled. "I suppose. Well, tell me what happened, Dear. But, first, tell me your name."

Angeline felt so compelled to do so. She just wanted to let everything out and bawl her eyes out. "My name is Angeline Karson. My boyfriend, Jake Combs was killed," Angeline started crying.

Dr. Grace moved closer to her. She put an arm around her shoulder. "Life stops without, him, huh."

Angeline looked at her. She knew exactly what she felt. Dr. Grace smiled at her. "Don't worry. You just have to find someone to keep living for until you want to keep living."

She made it sound so easy. Angeline realized that the advice was pretty simple. She just had to force herself to live until she could live without forcing herself to. "How is it so easy?" she asked.

Dr. Grace stopped smiling. "It's not. Angeline, I want you to know something. It's going to hurt for the rest of your life. You're going to think of thousands of ways where he might not have died. But those ways didn't happen. He did die. He won't come back. Love is beautiful. Love is cruel. Love is ancient. Love is new. Love hurts. You just have to find someone the hurt is worth."

"Why?" Angeline asked.

"Someone once said love and death are very alike. The only difference is that death is kinder. Love afflicts everyone. So does death. Love hurts. So does death. Love can make you do stupid things. Fear of death can make you do stupid things."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"You have a long life left to live. Please don't waste it. Don't forget Jake. But, don't obsess over him. He would want you to move on. He would want you to be happy. So, call someone who raised you. Call your mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, I don't care. Ask to live with them for a bit. Learn to lie for them. Love them. Realize you like living."

Angeline came back weekly. She learned to love Piper Grace. She had found a great friend. She had found joy in life. She had moved in with her Aunt Caroline. Plus, it didn't hurt that Piper had a stock of cookies. She had gotten the recipe from a friend's mom, and, as tribute, left the blue food coloring in. They were the best blue cookies ever.

Angeline had learned a bit about Piper, too. Her husband never knew about Jaycee or Tris. He died just a month after their wedding, 10 years ago. She had met Jaycee and Tris. They were adorable. They were 9 years old and were the cutest girls Angeline had ever seen.

Jaycee had tan skin and straight blond hair. She had bright blue eyes. She wanted to work at "The Legion". Angeline didn't know what that was, but it seemed pretty cool. Tris had the same skin tone and eye color as her twin, but had brown hair. Tris wanted to be a pilot. She wanted to join the Air Force.

Angeline had told Piper stories of all the mischief they had gotten into. Piper had listened. Angeline had cried. Piper had cried with her. Angeline had described Jake. Piper's friend, Nico Di Angelo, who was a famous painter, had painted a picture of him for her. Angeline loved that picture. It depicted Jake in the way he described paradise.

Angeline had gotten better. She had found a reason to live. She could go on without Jake. She wouldn't forget him. She would honour him. She would also find someone else. She would be okay.

Piper had finally agreed to let her daughters join the Legion. For their 10th birthday, June 1st, they would be given permission to stay at Camp Half Blood for the weekdays. They would move to Arizona at the beginning of August. Tris and Jaycee would join the 12th Legion Fulminata. They would also be going to Camp Half Blood for a few weeks at a time.

Piper wasn't ready. Her daughters were going to Camp Half Blood. They wouldn't be at home for 5 days. They would be on the Lava Wall and play extreme Capture the Flag. They would be fighting monsters. They would receive quests.

Her daughters would be free. They would have fun. They would enjoy themselves.

"Don't think you can leave without a hug!" she cried.

Jaycee turned around. "Okay. Bye, Mom. I love you. I promise we'll have fun."

Tris hugged her. "I promise I won't use charmspeak on Jaycee. No guarantees about Hermes campers, though."

Jaycee rolled her eyes. "Me, too. Now, come on! I want to see who's here!"

Piper waved her daughters off as they ran up the hill. They ran into the Big House. Piper drove away. She prayed to all the gods. "Please, hear me! Pleas don't let them get hurt. Artemis, Mom, Jupiter, please watch over them!"