thirty three

{ Reia's POV }

Uncle Marco, My father, My mother, Cristian, Dimitri, and myself are now back in Italy. Annika, Andrei, and Vera went to Russia for a while to take care of some things regarding Tatiana and Stefan being dead.

These past few days have been difficult with Uncle Enzo's death, and with all of us working to find out who our enemy's are.

We had Uncle Lorenzo's service and it was beautiful and Marco even said a few of his quotes that had us laughing. Just like Lorenzo always did. I know he would've loved it.

Cristian and my father finally agreed on something and it's to throw me some kind of welcome home and welcome to the mafia ball. The ball is being thrown tonight and I'm already getting dressed and ready for it.

The joys of being in the mafia.

I wanted this,
and I'm grateful to finally be apart.

<{🥀}>

The ball is in full effect and has been for a while but I've been more focused observing everyone.

Dimitri is in a corner somewhere probably messaging Annika. My father and mother are dancing, along with Michael and Greta, who agreed to stay in Italy awhile. My Uncle Marco is at the bar and Cristian is making the rounds.

I'm sipping rosé while leaned up against a wall.
Soon I see an older man around my fathers age start to approach me.

"You must be Reia.." The man says

"I am. I don't mean to be rude but who are you?"
I ask him

"I'm Giovanni, you can call me Gio along with your mother. I'm one of the Mafias doctors."
The man explains with a smile

"It's nice to meet you Dr. Giovanni." I say politely

"It's nice to meet you too, Ms. Reia." He says then he looks at the dance floor and back at me only to ask "Would you mind a dance?"

I don't answer confused on what to say so I slip my hand in the one he holds out to me. It's like the polite thing to do. I guess. As we get to the dance floor and start to dance he starts making conversation.

"Reia, I was the doctor who confirmed for your mother that she was indeed pregnant."
Giovanni tells me

And that's when it hits me he has strong Italian features and an American accent.... Just like the witness said in Mexico. His name also starts with the letter G.

"Really? I didn't know." I say trying to stay calm.

"Yes your mother and I spent the testing hours talking. She was quite different." Giovanni says

"Is she not now?" I ask innocently

"Not as much no. Anyone in the mafia eventually changes their own opinions. That is just the way things are." He answers

"I think things are changing."
I say trying to see where he stands

"Not nearly fast enough, princess." He replies but the way he says princess gives me the creeps. Like he almost spits it with venom.