Chapter Seven

When I woke up in the morning all I could think about was Angelica. After our moment by the car I dropped her off at the hotel and went home, but man she was definitely a force that I didn't think I could stay away from. I really hoped she didn't tell Crow but I knew that Bailey would know the moment she saw me and we didn't keep secrets from each other. Angelica was coming in with Crow today so I possibly had some time to talk to Bailey before she saw us together. I also still had to talk to her about whatever the hell happened yesterday. I shot her a text to see when she was doing in.

"Going in early? Want to get a coffee?"

I got in the shower and when I got out she hadn't answered. It wasn't crazy but it was unusual on a day we were both working. By the time I got ready I still hadn't heard back. So I sent another text.

"You alive? I'm grabbing you a coffee."

When I got to the precinct her car was already here. She was tucked in the conference room pouring over some papers. She looked like she hadn't slept much and I was starting to get concerned. I opened the door and she jumped at the sound and shuffled all the papers into the folder. "Dude what's your problem?" She was startled and a little freaked out. "Nothing," she grabbed the folder and walked passed me to her desk. "Ya ok, that was convincing." She put the folder in the desk drawer and looked up at me, "It's nothing, just drop it ok." I didn't believe her but I didn't have time to press the issue because Crow and Angelica walked in. When she walked through the door she smiled at me and I couldn't help but smile. "You fucked her didn't you," Bailey said from her desk. I looked down at her shocked, "B, what the fuck?" She tilted her head at me with knowing eyes. "Ya, alright, but do you have to be so loud." She just laughed and went back to whatever she was looking at on the screen. Angelica walked up and cleaned on the desk across from where I was standing. "Good morning Detective," she said taking a sip of her coffee. I was sure that unless Crow was a moron he was seeing the way she was looking at me, but when I looked at him he wasn't even paying attention. "Good morning," we were just kind of looking at each other and I swear I heard Bailey roll her eyes. This is why I didn't want to do this in the first place, we couldn't be distracted, so I decided to get on task. "So have we heard anything? Is there a Bruce that ties in to any of this?" I knew that it was early so chances are that they hadn't heard from their FBI contacts yet but I felt like this was the closest we had to a lead. "Nothing yet," Crow said from where he was sitting. Bailey get me everything you can on the owner. Go back through our notes when we talked to him. We are missing something. She nodded and looked like she was going to say something but then my phone rang and I answered it, "McMaster." I immediately regretted answering the phone. "Jessica, hi," Bailey burst out laughing, as I started moving towards the door to take the call outside, I pointed at her and mouth the words, 'Shut up'.  Jessica was a girl that I saw sometimes but she started to get a little bit crazy and needy so I had to stop seeing her. She didn't really like that and every once and a while she would call me and try and get me to see her.

"What's up Jess?"

J: "Well I just wanted to talk to you."

"About what?"

J: "I just missed your voice."

"Jess"

She cut me off before I could say anything else.

J: "I know, I know, ok, I just can't help it. Do you think I could see you sometime soon."

"Jess babe, I'm sorry. It's not that I don't like being around you but I think we need some space right now and honestly I'm extremely busy at work right."

I knew it wasn't fair to her, and maybe we would see each other again down the road but I'm trying to be honest with her so she doesn't get too attached or the wrong idea.