Chapter Eleven

I rolled off her out of breath, we had been doing this for hours and it was time for me to go home. I had to work in the morning and I was still a little buzzed. "Oh come on Kelly, you really can't stay?" I was collecting my clothes which had made it all over the room, she always was a little crazy but for some reason I just kept coming back. "I've got to work in the am you know that. But thanks for the call Jax, I had a good time." I checked my phone as I was walking to the car and Bailey had text me a couple times.

B: "Call me when you can"

B: "When you're done with tonight escapade will you call me already"

She was such an ass because she wasn't much better herself but the last few days had been pretty bad. After that night with Monica I did my best to keep busy while I wasn't at work. I'd avoided talking to Angelica for the most part unless she asked me a specific question. She had been texting me a lot to try and get me to talk to her about Amy. There might have been a text that said she was sorry but I still didn't know how she even knew about Amy in the first place but I didn't want to listen to her lie especially if it was B that told her. So when I got in the car I called her and she answered abruptly, "It's about fucking time, you're always having sex." I laughed pretty hard at that, "If you were having more sex maybe you wouldn't be as grumpy." She scoffed and then paused, "Ya.. maybe you're right. But that's not the point." Even though she couldn't see me she definitely knew I was rolling my eyes, "What do you want B?" "You should come in early tomorrow I know you aren't answering Rivers but we might have found something so maybe be around ok." Obviously I was going to work tomorrow but now I wanted to know what was going on. "Why do I feel like I'm going to be pissed?" I asked and she just said, "Just be there."

I took my time driving home, I even went out of the way a bit. I had the windows down even though it was a cooler night but I wanted to clear my head, or at least try. I knew that tomorrow was going to mean conversation about Amy and I knew I wasn't ready. After about an hour I got home, I was exhausted and ready for bed. Until I got to the door of my apartment and it was slightly ajar. Nothing wakes you up faster than the thought of someone in your home. I made my way slowly to the door to listen and see if anyone was still inside. I pulled out my gun and slowly pushed the door open, "SPD," I yelled as I quickly checked each room. There was no one there but my place was a disaster. I looked around as I text Bailey.

"Someone broke into my apartment"

I knew she'd still be up and got a message back instantly.

B: "On my way"

I didn't want to touch too much because I needed to bring forensics in. I lived in a good area and it seemed unlikely that this was random, especially with the writing on the wall but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I walked back into the bedroom to look around more clearly, and when I got to the doorway my heart sank. My closet door almost looked like it was torn off the hinges, the clothes hanging were separated showing the back wall and my safe wide open. I slowly walked over to it scared of what I would find. As I stood in front of the safe my eyes started to fill as I reached in and removed the only thing that was left inside. The last picture of Amy I had before she did. I moved backwards in a daze and sat down on the end of the bed looking at the picture when I heard a voice. "Mc, where are you?" It was Bailey, I had left the door open, but she had a key so it wouldn't have mattered anyway. She was here fast, I could only imagine how fast she was driving. "In here," I said but it barely came out I don't know if she even heard me. She came flying into the room and was already talking, "What the fuck happened in..." and she stopped as she saw me sitting there. I didn't look up but I could feel her move towards the safe. "No," she whispered. She came and sat down next to me, "All of it?" She asked quietly. I showed her the picture I was holding so she understood that was all that was in there. "I'm sorry Mc," she put her hand on my shoulder and I could feel she was shaking. I wasn't sure if it was out of anger or distress but she was definitely upset. "It's all I had left of her," I said as tears came down my eyes. "I know," she said probably not knowing what else to say. Inside the safe were old letters, pictures, and things from Amy. I could never bring myself to get rid of anything. "Why would someone take any of that stuff?" I asked myself and I felt Bailey tense. I turned to face her for the first time and when we made eye contact I knew whatever it was she was keeping from me was pretty big and it was related to Amy. "Mc," she said softly. I got up and walked to the other side of the room, I didn't know how upset I was going to be but I didn't want to be close to her if I flipped out. "Mc, Rivers is here because of Amy." I had been looking at the ground trying to regain composure when she said it but instantly my head popped up, "What the fuck are you talking about?" She stood up to walk towards me and I put my hands up to say no. She got the picture and didn't push but I just looked at her waiting for an explanation, "They came here yes because of the shooting at Lawyer, but they were already coming because they think this is all connected to Amy in some way." I couldn't believe what she was saying this seemed insane. What could a car accident from years ago have to do with all these shootings and then it was like a mack truck hit me. I had blocked it out for so long that I can't believe I didn't remember. That day on the road, I had been driving maybe 30 minutes behind her coming back into town from school. We were supposed to drive together but she insisted on letting me finish my paper and she was going to go meet her parents for dinner before we went and saw mine. I drove up on the accident after the cops had got there but not before they moved her body. There wasn't much traffic on the road but they had blocked it off while they were conducting their investigation. As soon as I saw the car I jumped out of mine, I don't even think I had shut it off. I ran full speed blowing past a cop trying to stop me. I was almost at the car when I saw her laying on the road in front of it. I had read the report so many times I knew it by heart, they thought she had slammed on her breaks and hit a deer and didn't have her seatbelt on so she went through the windshield. There was never any deer found and Amy always wore her seatbelt but there was nothing I could find that proved otherwise so I always just thought I was too close to it. I had never looked at the photos though, I could never bring myself to see her that way and I guess I had repressed the memory of it but right now I could see her as I got to the front of the car someone grabbed me and pulled me away but just for that second I could see in my mind. "Holy shit," I said out loud trying to understand what was happening. I looked at Bailey who had tears in her eyes watching me and I could barely get the words out, "Her body was in the same position."