Chapter Thirty Three

I don't even remember leaving the hospital room, or if I said anything to the girls. What I knew right now is that I was heading down the hallway with Val at a rapid pace. I was almost at the door when I felt a hand on my arm that pulled me back and I almost fell from the change in momentum, "What the fu.." Val was standing there staring at me, "What are you doing Cap. We've got to talk to him." She loosened her grip, "Kelly, you need to take a breath. I shouldn't even let you talk to him with how close you are to all this." I was about to cut her off and tell her she was wrong to stop me but she put her hand up, "Relax, I'm going to let you talk to him. The Feds will be here soon and if you think I'm going to let them cover up this shit show you are very wrong." I smiled slightly, "I just want you to take a breath, we need this to be done right or we won't get him or anyone else." She was right, just stopping on the way in was enough to get me to calm down. I took a deep breath, nodded at her and walked into the room. As I walked in there was a doctor and a nurse standing over him. There was a guard standing just inside the door who I waived off. The doctor approached me, "Look I know you have to talk to him but he's still in rough shape so you only have a few minutes." I looked him in the eyes and as calmly and softly as I could I said, "Doctor, with all due respect he's responsible for a lot of illegal activity including trying to kill me and a bunch of people I love so I'll talk to him as long as I want." He nodded knowing there was nothing he could do and him and the nurse walked out of the room. The guard on the outside shut the door and it was just me and him. His eyes were closed but I wasn't about to let him get his beauty sleep, "Crow." He didn't open his eyes right away so I called again, "Crow, wake the fuck up." That seemed to get his attention as he stirred. One of his hands was handcuffed to the bed but when he moved he must have forgotten because he was trying to pull that hand up to his face. "Ugh, what do you want McMaster?" I really thought that maybe he was someone that was being forced into this situation but there was a tone to his voice that said that it was more than that. "Listen you piece of shit, I'm going to ask you some questions. You're going to answer and then I'm going to go on my merry way back to your partner with the hole in her chest." The mention of Angelica made him wince slightly but he tried to hide it. It meant maybe he did care a bit but we were going to see how much. I wanted to strong arm him but he already had his back up and Val was right I needed to breathe, "Listen, Josh." I had never called him by his first name before, I don't think I had ever heard anyone use it but I hope it would soften the conversation a bit. "I know you're probably in pain right now and I want to get this over with as much as you do. So please just talk to me ok." I guess that wasn't the way to go either, because he just laughed at me. "You think this is a joke?" He shook his head at me, "No you are." I stood up and was ready to strangle him when I heard a voice behind me, "McMaster." I stopped and turned around and Val was standing behind me. "Go," she said calmly but stern. I tried to protest, "Cap, come on." A smirk came across Crow's face, "Do what you're told Detective." I moved toward him and Val grabbed my arm to hold me back, "Kel, it's ok. Just go." I was walking towards the door and I glanced back at her approaching him, she leaned in and whispered something in his ear and the smirk disappeared from his face. "Oh and Kel, make sure no one comes in." Now I was the one smirking as I shut the door behind me and told the guards at the door to take a walk. I stood in front of the door for a few minutes and then I heard a muffled scream coming from inside. That continued for a few minutes and I thought for sure that someone was going to come thinking he was dying but no one did. It might have had something to do with the cops that were standing at the end of the hallway but either way after a few more minutes the door opened behind me and Val came out. "Cap," I said greeting her. She waived the officers back to the door, "Don't let anyone in or out of this room without my say so, not even the doctor. I'll be right back." They took their orders and stood back in front of the door. She started walking down the hallway and I just followed, "So are you going to tell me what happened in there?" She shook her head, "All you need to know is that we got the information we need. I'm going back in there to get the rest of his statement and then I have to make some calls." We were standing in front of Angelica's room and I had to go back in and tell them something, "So are we ok?" She put her hands on my shoulders, "The hitman is dead, the inside man is in custody and I'm about to nail everyone else. Go and see your girl." It wasn't like me to not want to be involved in all the details of closing this case but at this point I was so exhausted I just wanted to take a breather. "Thank you Val, really." I leaned in to give her a hug and when I pulled a way I smiled, "You always were a badass." She smirked and laughed before turning to walk away, "You know it."