Chapter Twenty Two

I was pacing back and forth in the office and I don't think I had stopped talking for about ten minutes. Bailey sat on the edge of the desk and my dad was sitting across the room in his chair. I told him everything, about the shootings, the connections to Mr. Richardson and the fact that Amy was alive. After I was finished I sat down on the couch with a huff. When I looked up at my dad he was just staring into space. I looked at Bailey and she looked back and forth from him to me and shrugged. I laid back as we waited in silence for a couple more minutes and then he started talking, "Ok." I sprung up, "What do you mean ok? That's it, ok?" He stood up and walked over and sat down next to me, "Kelly, I can't even imagine what's going through your head right now but talking about it isn't going to help you right now. Do you have any leads on the shooters?" I shouldn't have been surprised by how calm my dad was. He was always good under pressure and he would always put my well being ahead of his own. "We don't know much right now. It's frustrating." He put his hand on my back as I put my head in my hands, "What about that FBI agent? Do they know anything?" I hadn't gotten into the part about Angelica because I was hoping that I hadn't started sleeping with someone that was connected to all this. That and I knew he would give me that look. Bailey interrupted, "I text her but I hadn't heard anything." It was a little weird but Crow would probably know. After that someone came knocking on the door, it was one of the uniformed guys, "Detective I'm sorry to interrupt but you need to see this." We headed back out and followed him to my booth. It was commonly known that we sat there and there was a picture on the wall of my dad and me. It had been tossed off in the mayhem and now it was being held by one of the crime scene techs. He handed it to me and Bailey looked over my shoulder to see it too. On it in blood were the words, 'I see you.' It wasn't much but it was the second place that there were words written in blood and since the first time it was my name I have to imagine this was for me. Bailey looked at me and I knew we couldn't have this conversation with so many people around. I looked around a little bit more and decided that I couldn't be in here anymore and it was probably best to get my dad out of here too.

After driving my dad home and trying to make him promise me to stay there Bailey and I headed back to the precinct. In the car it was quiet, we both had our wheels spinning. "Still nothing from Rivers? Did you try and call her?" I shook my head, "I probably should but I don't know if I trust her. What if she's a part of all this." We had both been thinking it but I finally said it out loud. "You should still call her, if she is connected you don't want her to know you think so." She was right but I really didn't want to talk to her so I sent her a text.

"Where are you? We have another shooting."

When we got back to the precinct Crow was there but still no Angelica. "Have you heard anything from Rivers yet?" He shook his head, "No I'm not sure where she is." It was then that she walked through the door. "What happened?" Was the first thing she said. I turned around and was annoyed so I definitely had an attitude with her. "Oh you know, my dad's bar was shot up, people were killed." Her eyes went wide, "Your dad?" I rolled my eyes, "He's fine. Monica however not so much. Where were you?" She started leafing through the papers that were on my desk and I instinctively grabbed them from her. I didn't even know what they were but I hadn't had the chance to look yet so she definitely wasn't either. She noticed but I didn't care. "B can you put this stuff in the conference room, they are bringing up the video footage shortly." She nodded and walked away, "Kelly, can I talk to you please?" I didn't look up from the computer, I was checking my email. "Kelly, please." She didn't seem like she was going to drop it until I did so I agreed. "Five minutes," I got up and walked towards the bathroom and I caught Bailey eyeing me as I did. I gave her the look and I knew after a few minutes she would come in and interrupt it. When I walked in I had the urge to punch something but I tried to calm myself down to have this conversation, I turned around as she walked in the door. "Kelly, I'm sorry," that wasn't exactly what I expected to hear but it didn't change that she was in my phone. I didn't respond and she kept talking, "I know how it must have looked." She started to walk closer to me, "I think it's dangerous to have contact with her, and I didn't know if you would be able to be objective. But the truth is," she was right in front of me as I leaned against the counter. "I was a little bit jealous." Her body was pressed up against mine now, "That's not an excuse." She put her hands on my hips and started to slide them up my sides. My hands were still on the counter behind me as her leg pressed in between mine. "I know it's not, but I can't have you believe that I would be out to hurt you." She leaned in and whispered in my ear, "Please forgive me." It was then that the door came open and in came Bailey, "If you guys are done, we have work to do." I took the opportunity to slide out from where she had me trapped, "Let's go."